Lower Slower Report for 10/3-10/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Slower Report for 10/3-10/4

Fished the lower Potomac with a buddy. Worked the points and remaining grass beds, casting and trolling 1/4 oz and lighter jigheads with paddle tails. Sunday, we managed five species: rockfish (up to 17"), perch (up to 11.5"), bluefish, lizard fish, and speckled trout (up to 21"). Monday was the same, with the addition of a 18.25" redfish. I noticed more of this funky grass that's like fine hair. I saw mats of it on the shore. The 16-17" rockfish are hitting hard. Lots of bait on the surface and Mark's on my buddy's FF. d571fad1fc8b148afed34b76d782822d0bb1dcf6-14.jpg20211004_172441.jpg20211004_172441.jpg
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

It is enjoyable to catch a variety of species on the same trip. You guys did well. I fished in that general area yesterday and caught stripers, specks, lizardfish, a black sea bass, and my personal best Atlantic needlefish (19"). I was hoping to find some reds, but it just did not happen. I had one fish on that pulled differently than any of the others. Unfortunately it came unhooked before I could see what it was. It may have been a foul-hooked menhaden, as there were lots of bait schools in that area.

2021-10-05-003.jpg 2021-10-05-002.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

When I was there Saturday I had two strikes that hit harder than anything else on the end of the line all day, and both of them came unhooked after a matter of seconds. Not sure what they were but I suspect 24"+ reds given how hard they hit and ran with the lure. The 21" trout you caught is impressive! I still can't manage to break 13"

I'm debating making a trip back there this upcoming weekend since the bite is still hot but I may end up exploring more local options instead.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

The strikes from 20 (+) inch stripers seem especially hard and energetic this fall...I just knewI had a good red but alas it was a 21 inch striped bass...fished this morning searching for the fish...Teddy and I were headed to our target area when I hooked up a 19 inch speckled trout...we hung around this area for the next hour catching big specks up to 21 1/2 inches -all released...eventually we crossed the channel to our target flats only to find stripers, white perch and those pesky lizard fish...off the water by 9:15....
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
        X