Better luck at Solleys Cove today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better luck at Solleys Cove today

I visited Solleys Cove launch on Monday and caught a bunch of mid-teens stripers but nothing else. Several Snaggedline members offered suggestions on how to target some other species. I launched there again this morning and quickly caught a few white perch by casting to structure. That took the pressure off, so I went off exploring. I spent some time trolling and some time casting to docks, piers, and bulkheads. Nothing seemed to work in those spots, and I was getting discouraged.

By that time, my exploration had taken me more than two miles from the launch, and my fishing time window was beginning to close -- I had to start heading back. I began working my usual shallow water, light tackle trolling technique -- trolling three lines in 3' to 5' water depth. I had a 4" Gulp swimming mullet on a 3/16-oz jighead on a 6'6" light rod, a 3" hand-colored chartreuse and red paddletail on a 3/8-oz jighead on a 6'6" medium rod, and a 4" twister tail on a 1/4-oz jighead on a 6' light rod. I stayed close to the shoreline, veering out if I saw a long fallen tree, then moving closer again.

Soon I had a strong bite on the Gulp – the fish pulled hard against the drag. As I tried to gain back line, the kayak was drifting into some overhanging branches. I had to put the rod with the fish down to get another rod out of harms way. When I picked up the first rod again, the fish was gone (disappointing). I kept working back toward the launch.

A few minutes later I had a hard strike on the paddletail rod and began winding in that fish. Almost immediately the light rod with the twistertail started shaking. I wound in the first fish (18” striper) then worked on the second fish (24” channel cat). That was quite a doubleheader particularly getting the catfish in on a slender rod. Once I got the fish released and the lines straightened out, I began trolling again. Over the next 15 minutes, I caught three more stripers (21.5”, 14”, and 22.5”). Overall I caught fewer stripers today than on Mon, but they were larger fish.

I caught more stripers on Mon, but caught larger fish today. I feel that each time I visit the area, I am learning more about how I want to fish it on future visits. I hope to find pickerel and yellow perch there on future visits.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I've caught two yellow perch there this summer, or maybe the same yellow perch on different visits. Is there a different method/presentation for them because I just happened to hook them while fishing for white perch?

The pickerel have been elusive too. Like you said in a earlier post, there are a lot of fishy looking spots - many that look really similar to places I caught tons of pickerel in Weems last year. Yet the only place I've found them is two specific stretches of overgrown shoreline near docks.

Comment

I am happy for your success John. I have had a lot of fun at Solley's this year. What I cannot figure out is why I haven't caught anything over 18"? The saga continues tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
      X