Vacation Time Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation Time Again

Time again for my much needed semi annual trip down to the lower Chesapeake Bay. I'll be heading out very early Tuesday morning from my home in Kingsville to Janes Island and surrounding area for a couple days camping/fishing. I plan on hitting Colburn Creek Landing early Tuesday before the crack of dawn and head to a couple of my favorite spots there before going to my campsite at Janes. Thursday morning I will be taking off and heading to Cape Charles for the remainder of my trip until Oct. 26. I'm not sure as yet whether a trip to the Virginia Beach/Lynnhaven side will happen this time around but the possibility is being kept open. Needless to say I have stocked up on lures and plastics for targeting multiple species with the hopes of tying into some bull reds this trip at some point or at least that is the plan so far...

Enjoy your outing.

It's beautiful water there.

I stayed at Janes Island last weekend and launched one day at the park and one day at nearby Coulbourn Creek. The bite was tough both days. High pressure, high winds, a bright sun and warmer than normal water temps did not help. I managed 8 stripers -- the largest at 22, 21 and 18 inches. I caught them casting paddletails and flies tight to riprap in Coulbourn and tight to reeds at Janes Island near the sandy beach. The rest were dinks I found in open water at Coulbourn. I also caught a small speck and a lizard fish.

So, the fishing wasn't great for me, but the area is so appealing that it's impossible to not enjoy an outing there.

I hope you have good weather and many willing fish.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks I will....That's my plan to hit Colburn Tuesday prior to checking in then catch Janes for late afternoon & Wednesday. Having the kayak trailer now instead of car topping makes it quick & easy to pull up and head elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
        Thanks I will....That's my plan to hit Colburn Tuesday prior to checking in then catch Janes for late afternoon & Wednesday. Having the kayak trailer now instead of car topping makes it quick & easy to pull up and head elsewhere.
        Did you brave the day long mist and drizzle? If so, I hope you found some fish.

Comment

Tuesday, the winds at Coulburn were a tad up so I ventured on to Janes Island, I caught a few dink stripers. Wednesday was a total bust at janes, beautiful weather and water but no joy. Thursday was travel time to Cape Charles and got out there on Friday, lizard fish were in abundance and a few small blues were cutting our plastics in half. Then my fishing buddy Mike tied into what turned out to be a 29" Puppy drum that gave him a fun ride. A little later I was fishing with my light tackle rig searching for specks and tied into a what had to be an over 30" red drum. My tackle put up a good fight for decent amount of time and I got it close in an to surface a few times but not close enough to net it before it would rip out a bunch of my line. Then while I was trying to keep it and me from going into a makeshift duck blind i tightened my drag a tad getting it almost close enough to my yak to net it. All of a sudden it made a surge and snap went my 12lb braid. that was the end of my day of catching anything.

Since Saturday we have been dealing with unfishable winds as I look out the rv windows watching the white caps abound through another day of no fishing.
          Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 10-18-2021, 09:22 AM.

Comment

The wind has been very unkind for a lot of your trip, but it sounds like the reds helped makeup for it a little bit. Forecast looks like you will have better opportunities before you have to leave. Go get ‘em!

Comment

Update; We finally got out to beautiful weather yesterday, nothing to really write home about Mike and I both caught 3 each non keeper flounder and again more lizard fish. We ventured over to Cape Charles harbor Jetties, Mike landed a 16" Spec and I caught another 15" flounder. A group of 3 boats of asians were catching the crap out of ribbon fish so we stayed away from that area and didn't didn't tie into any of those. Today is another windy day but tomorrow and Saturday look to be favorable with Sunday maybe being passable. Then the winds turn to crap again just in time for me to pack and ready for my venture back home.

Comment

Working...
              X