PB Speckled trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PB Speckled trout

Between my job, projects around the house, bad weather, and other obligations I had not been fishing for 19 days. Today I said to hell with that and took off work to go on a little road trip hoping to get in on some of the last of the speckled trout action before they vacate our area and go to wherever it is they go during the winter. I met some friends at the launch and we were greeted with a stunning sunrise.

After a very brief time throwing topwater (probably 3 casts) I quickly got to work trolling my usual 3" paddle tails. The fish were biting sporadically today but biting well enough to keep me entertained and on the water for 6 hours. The highlight of my day was this very plump speck which measured in at 18.5" with the tail pinched. My previous best was 13" which I just could not seem to break... I had caught numerous specks in the 12-13" range but none larger... so this was a nice upgrade.

Other notable fish included 17.5" and 16.5" (pictured below) specks. So not only did I beat my previous PB but I beat it 3 times in the same trip. Pretty cool. I finished the day with 9 specks, 6 rockfish (largest 18"), and 2 nice perch.

Sadly, the day ended in heartbreak. I hooked up with a really nice fish on the troll... drag was screaming off my 6' light combo and I had a feeling it was a big speck from the way it was fighting so I fought it very delicately so as not to rip the hook out of the soft mouth. I got it all the way to the boat and confirmed it was indeed a big speck... this thing was a gator and looked every bit of 22-24". I was guiding the fish into my net when the hook pulled out while the fish was about a foot out from my net. I got a very good look at it which somehow made losing it hurt even worse. Oh well... I broke my PB 3 times in one day so I'm sure I'll get an even bigger one eventually.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

It has been a very good year for our big gator trout...the thin membrane of this fish's mouth make catching a really big one difficult no matter how careful you are. Pulling the hook is very common at boat-side landing as these are some real fighters at the boat, very much like a big flounder. 18 inch trout are my favorite size for the table. Yesterday's tides at launch were not the best and the NW winds did not help. We had to work for the fish..
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-21-2021, 08:27 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Dave -

Congratulations on setting and breaking your personal best speck record several times in the same outing. I enjoy catching new species or larger fish of species that I have previously caught. That is part of what keeps me going out day after day. Too bad about the one that got away -- maybe you will catch it the next time out.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

What a beautiful sunrise and that speckled trout is a solid one. Very cool report and as always, I love photos of scenery and fish that people catch.

Comment

Congratulations Dave!!! She is a beauty. I am sorry to hear about the one that got away. I hope you are reunited next year.

Comment

Let's hope I can find that fish again... I have some very longstanding PBs. My PB largemouth has remained unbroken for 14 years
            Last edited by dsaavedra; 10-21-2021, 12:15 PM.
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Congrats on the new PB, Dave! For some weird reason the pictures aren't showing up on my computer despite being logged in, but I'll everyone's word that it was a beaut!
              - Cliff

Hobie Compass
              Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Congratulations on your PB and I think we all share in the pain of losing that big one kayak side!
                Tight lines
                Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Forget the length that thing is a fat football! Nice job!!
                  Jay

10' Green Slayer
                  13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Working...
                  X