Rose Haven 10/24 & 10/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rose Haven 10/24 & 10/28

First post guys. Went out of Rose Haven, my home launch on Sunday and this evening. Both days were productive. Sunday was slow and rough for most of the day until the sun came out, caught a few flounder, perch and a bunch of rockfish with the biggest being 23” and the biggest fish I had landed on the kayak at that point. Tonight was nonstop action but only rockfish biting. Most fish were 10-17” until I was headed back in around 5:30pm and caught a monster, didn’t think my small daiwa bg2500 had the power to slow this fish down. Was headed right towards the docks and had to do everything I could to stop him. Finally got him to the kayak and used the net for the first time ever. Caught my new pb rockfish at 26”. Hate that the season is ending but hopefully can get a few more weeks of fishing like this before it’s too cold. Have a good night guys. 2DC5AD5A-86D4-414E-9FC4-7AB7C20136F3.jpgF2AF766A-80A6-4090-AC69-E5EF61CC7C47.jpg57D64076-A11B-4788-8043-BEA5349E4A1C.jpg20B7EB4F-4E97-456C-8A61-872BA3184E1D.jpg

Congratulations...the thrill of catching a personal best is the possibility of a better fish next time...anticipation, the knowledge that bigger fish await you...that pleasure attracts more every year to join our fraternity. Congratulations and may you have much success on future trips..
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Great fish! I live on the other side of Herring Bay from Rose Haven and admittedly I don't fish this area very often. I even live in a water front community with private launch access. I always hit the road and go fish up in the rivers, West, South, or Severn. Or drive across the bridge and fish Eastern Bay. When I read reports like these it makes me think I need to be putting a few hours on my home waters and see what's what. The water near me is so expansive and uniform/featureless which makes it tough to fish unless you just happen upon some fish. It is about 3 feet deep for a couple hundred yards before the water gradually drops down to 12-15 feet. I imagine the area around Rose Haven is the same. Are you fishing near shore structure like docks and rip rap or are you further out near the drop off?
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Awesome first post, thanks for sharing and congrats on the PB!
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
        Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
        Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
        Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Living in Alexandria VA I fished the Holland Point area for many years before moving south. I think it’s an underrated place by many kayak fishing guys. That was always my go to, saltwater, close to home spot. Many excellent days there. The tripod channel marker further out into the bay to the entrance to Herring Bay consistently held fish when things slowed down around Holland Point. The inlet at Chesapeake Beach was excellent and consistent too. Not sure what the inlet is like these days.
          Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
          Predator 13

Comment

Well done and thanks for posting.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nicely done! Fish like that seem to be getting more difficult to find these days. Glad you were able to get into them.
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Well done! The one time I made the drive out to Rose Haven, I got there only to find the small parking area was already full. It seems it can only handle 3 cars or trucks max. Does anyone have any recommendations for alternate launches in the immediate area? I hate to drive 50 minutes only to find I have nowhere to park.
                - Cliff

Hobie Compass
                Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
                X