Striper migration in and out of bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striper migration in and out of bay

Can someone explain the striper migration in and out of the bay? Spring time they come in to spawn. Do they come in the fall? Do any migratory fish stay over the winter? Sorry for the basic question. I would just like to understand the annual pattern. What months do these occur. Or is there a link to details?

Originally posted by wiljack78 View Post
    Can someone explain the striper migration in and out of the bay? Spring time they come in to spawn. Do they come in the fall? Do any migratory fish stay over the winter? Sorry for the basic question. I would just like to understand the annual pattern. What months do these occur. Or is there a link to details?
    Yeah ........ they come in the fall too ........ usually about now till Nov something .........

Some come through the C&D Canal ......... quite a few are caught in Nov.

Others continue down the coast and stay around CBBT area both out to sea and in the bay ......... word is that they went into the bay to feed on the Menhadden ......... last few years many have stayed out to sea ........ some speculate that it is because of Omega Protein's overfishing of the Menhadden stock so there is not that much for them to feed on ......... when the water temp gets below 50 degrees they move on ......... out to sea and down to Hatteras and many in the waters off of Point Look Out ........... Many catch and return monsters are caught in Jan - March there ......... after that they move up the bay to spawn following the water temps ........

At least that is the way I understand it.

Comment

The main body of the fall run is just north Avalon new jersey working south.
      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

my understanding is they come up bay to feed on 12-15" menhaden that are being run out of creeks, rivers by dropping temps and are migrating south. i believe the menhaden will spawn in the ocean in spring. the fall rock gobble and gobble until they cannot cram another fish into their stomach.

some apparently do stay over winter, but it seems the masses winter over in the carolina ocean area, then return to their freshwater spawning areas in spring for the spawn. there are several spawn areas (roanoke, DE, hudson, etc) besides ches and i do not think the amount of intermingling between these different migratory stocks is well established.

'fall' fishing for them in the bay gets tough when WT approaches 45 because the fish are slow (and probably because a lot have headed south again). i've heard there are some tricks to avoid this problem and it is sometimes possible to catch them throughout winter.

Comment

http://www.chesapeakelighttackle.com...tterns-places/

Just read this article... at the bottom he mentions 40"???

Comment

migrating stripers will head up into bay to fatten up on bunker but there is a resident stock of stripers that stay all year. the netters know where they are- off VA beach and North Carolina also the phantom netters in the bay know there are stripers to be had in the winter. they are deep in the channels and about 0 anglers fishing for them in the cold. a guy on P&S posted last jan. that he caught some nice fish north of the BB from the drain pipe to the deep channel. im heading to the surf at AI next weekend to see if some big rock are in the area.

Comment

Working...
            X