Severn outing - 4 species and huge perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn outing - 4 species and huge perch

After all the chest beating and comments about "screw the paddle", I'm not sure if an angler using an old-fashioned paddle-propelled kayak can post here any more. I hope so, because that is how I plan to continue to fish for the foreseeable future.

I needed to be home by noon today but I still wanted to get in some kayak fishing. I drove from my home to within 1/2 mile of the Severn River launch site and realized that I had loaded all the necessary kayak gear but no fishing rods. I drove 15 minutes back home to pick up the rods then returned to launch at 8:45. The water level was about as low as I have seen it this year -- it continued to drop throughout the morning so that entire mud flats and sand spits were exposed in the creek where I fished today.

It was cool and windy. I started casting at my usual spots in this creek with three different lures on ultralight rods: a) 1/4-oz jighead with chartreuse Gulp swimming mullet; b) Strike King micro-king small spinnerbait in sun perch color; and c) one of Woody's glow-jigs in chartreuse and white. For the first 90 minutes, I got lots of casting practice but had no bites. I was persistent however, and continued to try different spots. Finally the ice broke with a rather lethargic 13" yellow perch. 20 minutes later, I caught a young rockfish. A few minutes after that, I hooked an 8" white perch. All three of these fish hit the Gulp bait.

I was hoping for a pickerel to round out the Severn mini-slam, so I began casting the micro-king, which has attracted quite a few pickerel bites over the last three months. Sure enough, in just a few more minutes a 14" pickerel hit the spinnerbait, danced on the surface for a short while, then was released. I was quite pleased with the 4 species and decided to start working my way back to the ramp.

A moment later, I cast the micro-king near a sunken trunk and began winding it back. Just a few feet from the boat, I felt a bump, then the ultralight rod doubled over with the obviously heavy fish swimming back under the kayak. Because very little line was out, I was able to subdue the fish quickly. As I got my first glimpse, I was shocked -- it was a jumbo white perch. This is the second time in my fishing career when I have looked in the water to see my fish and thought it was a large mouth bass because of the size and depth of the body. It was a mammoth white perch of 13.5". I did not have my Hawg Trough on board today. I show several views of the fish with a measuring tape, and several objects for scale (the Gulp bag is 7" across, and the gripper tool is 8.5").

Ironically the other time I thought my huge perch was an LMB was several summers ago in the same creek and no more than 50 feet from where I caught today's biggun. I wonder if this is the same fish? I put the big guy back and hope to catch him again.

My entire fishing time lasted 2.5 hours, and I caught nothing during the first 1.5 hours. That final hour brought nice diversity and a memorable perch.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

In addition to the fishing, the wildlife was enjoyable too. Immediately after launching, I spotted an osprey. Most of our local ospreys have already migrated south -- this bird was a procrastinator. I saw many of the typical local bird species plus a red fox that was taking advantage of the low water level to sit on the sand and enjoy the sun. When I fish from my kayak, I take my old water resistant camera. It has only 3X zoom, so the distant photos are blurry when magnified. Nevertheless, it was a fine fall morning with great scenery.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great job and thanks for the report.

That is a giant perch.

Comment

Nice work as usual, John. I'd love to get a citation perch. The bigger ones I've caught did fight like largemouth. A few years ago, I caught a mess of perch that were close to 12" in the shallows around Solomons during this time of year. I wonder if it's a last round of fattening up before they head off to deeper water?

That fox looks really fluffy. I wish I had coat like that. It's been crazy cold at Solomons today.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Excellent report as always. I would equate a 13+ White Perch to a 30+ Striper, maybe even 40+. I guess you passed me on the all time leader board , but excellent catch! I had plans of stealing away for a couple hours to wade and trout fish tomorrow morning, but rain/snow may foil that plan. I wonder how the Severn will look on Sunday for a quick paddle trip in my old kayak...
          Last edited by Shady; 10-28-2011, 04:11 PM.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Good Deal- That is a nice white perch- they get fat about this part of the season- around here, no one throws rocks at any one's choice in kayaks- you paddle , that's fine, but if you peddle that is fine, too-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
              Excellent report as always. I would equate a 13+ White Perch to a 30+ Striper, maybe even 40+. I guess you passed me on the all time leader board , but excellent catch! I had plans of stealing away for a couple hours to wade and trout fish tomorrow morning, but rain/snow may foil that plan. I wonder how the Severn will look on Sunday for a quick paddle trip in my old kayak...
              Thanks for the comparison to large rock. I seem to have far more luck catching large perch than large rock. That is something to work on for next year.

The weather tomorrow should lower surface water temperatures a bit, but I don't expect much impact from runoff. The water levels were really low today. I don't know what the tides and wind will do to water level between now and Sunday.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

Nice catch John and as always a great report. Nice pics on the wildlife as well
                Tom Brown
                Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                2012 Hobie PA 14'
                Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

John, thanks for the report. nice job with the jumbo perch and kudos for the catch and release!!!! someday's on the yak seems not often enuff it's the journey and not the destination. ""bent rods and tight lines always my friend""

Comment

Nice report John.

The widlife along the river banks is something I know i'll enjoy when yak fishing.
                    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Nice catch, way to get out before this weather!! I updated the Record Board with you perch and Pinch's Speck

Comment

nice John, did you take it to anglers for a citation?

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                          nice John, did you take it to anglers for a citation?
                          I was not paying any attention to whether this was a citation fish or not. Even if I had realized that, I would not have kept the fish anyway – most of my fishing is catch and release unless I want a meal that same day. Until I work off a freezer full of delicious halibut fillets, I do not plan to keep any local fish. Plus I had no interest in killing such a magnificent fish. So after the photos were taken I released the fish, and it swam out of sight immediately.

Later that evening, someone pointed out that I had lost out on an entry into next year's Maryland Fishing Challenge by not checking in the fish. I went to DNR's website and found that there is a catch and release division of the Challenge. I went ahead and submitted the form and my photos to DNR late Fri. I hope they accept my entry, even with sub-par photo evidence.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                            I was not paying any attention to whether this was a citation fish or not. Even if I had realized that, I would not have kept the fish anyway – most of my fishing is catch and release unless I want a meal that same day. Until I work off a freezer full of delicious halibut fillets, I do not plan to keep any local fish. Plus I had no interest in killing such a magnificent fish. So after the photos were taken I released the fish, and it swam out of sight immediately.

Later that evening, someone pointed out that I had lost out on an entry into next year's Maryland Fishing Challenge by not checking in the fish. I went to DNR's website and found that there is a catch and release division of the Challenge. I went ahead and submitted the form and my photos to DNR late Fri. I hope they accept my entry, even with sub-par photo evidence.
                            What I have done for my released citation LMB is just take the picture of the fish on my hawg trough measuring board, then show that to the people at the citation center. All pictures have a time/date stamp so you can prove it was caught recently or that day.

Comment

I had a citation channel cat a few years ago and used the catch and release form and submitted it online. I think I just had the fish laying next to a tape measure. I didnt have any problems getting the citation for that.
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X