Servern Weds late afternoon fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servern Weds late afternoon fishing?

Just got home from work and the weather looks real nice. I am sooo tempted to get my kayak and launch out of Jonas for a few hours, but I am not sure. Is anyone fishing that area tonight.....?

I just got home from fishing in Weems Creek and another nearby Severn creek. The weather was delightful, I left my jacket in the car and paddled in a long sleeve shirt. I briefly jigged several pilings on the Rt 50 bridge with no luck. I cast three types of small lures around the entire margin of the other creek without a bite. I stopped by a Weems Creek location that often holds fish. I cast all three of the lures into this hole – the Strike King micro-king produced again My only bite of the day was an 18” pickerel.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the update. It looks like I probly will not be able to get out tonight after all. Maybe friday afternoon depending on work

Comment

congrats on the pickerel! really long time since i found one of those at the end of my line.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          I just got home from fishing in Weems Creek and another nearby Severn creek. The weather was delightful, I left my jacket in the car and paddled in a long sleeve shirt. I briefly jigged several pilings on the Rt 50 bridge with no luck. I cast three types of small lures around the entire margin of the other creek without a bite. I stopped by a Weems Creek location that often holds fish. I cast all three of the lures into this hole – the Strike King micro-king produced again My only bite of the day was an 18” pickerel.
          Thanks for the mini report. Where do you find those micro-kings? the only ones i've seen are mini-kings, in bass pro and wal-mart.

Comment

I picked up some Micro Kings from Dick's in Lexington Park, but they were out of the magic "sun perch" color.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by jsquare View Post
              Thanks for the mini report. Where do you find those micro-kings? the only ones i've seen are mini-kings, in bass pro and wal-mart.
              I bought them at a Dick's Sporting Goods store near Reading, PA when I visited my brother last summer. I bought 3 then. I used them over the next few weeks and did well. I managed to lose/break off all of them. My brother sent me another few micro-kings in September.

In any case, they are readily available through the internet. I almost made an order for 30 of them last month, then realized I was bordering on the obsessive and cancelled.

I will visit my brother again this weekend and may stop at Dick's to see what they have in stock. Like many general sporting goods stores, they emphasize hunting in the fall and winter and reduce their shelf stock of fishing gear until next spring.

The micro-kings have a 1/16-oz head. The mini-kings, which are more readily available at other stores, including Walmart, have a 1/8-oz head. I have tried them several times in the same areas that I caught fish using the micro-kings, but have not caught any fish yet. I fully admit that I have not given them a fair trial yet, and will continue using them next year to see how they perform side-by-side with other lures,

One other interesting observation: in the Strike King spinnerbaits I prefer the 1/16-oz size, but when I use Woody's spinners (Maryland Tackle), I prefer the 1/8-oz size -- I catch more with the slightly heavier head.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
              X