No announcement yet.

Kent Narrows 11/3/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i fished from shore here when i was a kid but that didn't provide much useful insight for yakking it. overall, felt like an 'off' day from rushing around after work, trouble with bank machine, and not being prepared the night before. forgot to bring my bag of jigheads and bodies. even forgot to bring my FF.

i had a 1/2 oz jighead tied on my rod and my bag of gulps. so i fished around the likely structures and bridges with that. but it was discouraging not being able to locate on the holes, or have the confidence of seeing marks. snagged about 1/2 doz times. but was lucky enough to get loose ea time.

i had some trolling lures but didn't really use them since i couldn't determine depth/channel edges with any accuracy.

i was peddling the outback and there's huge difference between idling in an eddy and being broadside in the flow. probably some potential for capsize if you got pinned broadside against structure in the current but i didn't actually try that out.

i did get some much-needed practice holding yak alongside structure in current. setting rudder to softly push the hull against the structure and then very slowly peddling was perfectly effective but would probably be too scrapey in waves.

i did mostly vert jigging. but in the conditions, my most effective technique was to sit in idle mode well back from larger structure, but in its eddy and take a longish cast upcurrent direction, into the eddy area and hop, hop, hop back along the bottom. in the open-wind areas outside of the narrows, that wasn't working exactly since wind was against current.

missed a couple. but got one about 18, released boatside and not measured.

i'll fish there again but will most likely launch at the ramp at the narrows, or find another piece of shore that lets me in. if you go to the queen anne parks website, it's clear they want their fee for launching, or for parking. i made a call, and the lady suggested parknride next to ramp was free, then referred me to the parks website for info (above). not sure what to say beyond that. i don't really have a problem with the fee either.

this is a well-known lightline area. i'd suggest launch at first light to take advantage of food chain having collected overnight w/o additional risk of nightfishing in a well-used channel, heavy current, cool water, but that's a personal call.

would have been cool if more guys had joined in. but in any case - good place to fish using the buddy system.
    Last edited by Southerly; 11-04-2011, 06:49 AM.

Comment

I didn't even see a pay box there...just port-o-potties. Hmmm
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Thanks for sharing the pics. In the large picture of the fish from the Striper's stomach, it looks like the three on the left are WP, but the one of the far right might be some type of shad?
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice work guys! That current can be pretty rough! So can all of the other anglers, from shore, boat, and above on the bridge. I wish we had larger lightline somewhere close by.

I'm scared of keeping 18" fish because they will shrink on you once they die. KN is usually crawling with DNR, but you don't always see them. Also, I think the ramp at the narrows requires the same QAC permit to launch. Parking on the other side is free though.
          Used to fish more.

Comment

Tried to fish under the lights yesterday dinks. Moved around the docks, dinks. Almost got flipped by a ninja piling and had lead flying at me at one point. Im sure I forgot some stuff but ill be fishing elsewhere for awhile.
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Sometimes it's fun pullin' people's leg , especially when I don't catch good fish or get skunked...lol
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
              X