New PB from Harbor Hospital!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PB from Harbor Hospital!

So this is a little late but I went out fishing Friday after work for a couple hours and got pounded by the wind and waves but it was worth it!!! Ended up trolling my way across to almost Ft McHenry and started marking all kinds of fish in about 15 fow. Dropped my sonar down and on the fist drop BAM, felt like I had hoked bottom until it started running About 5 minutes of my rod being doubled over I finally get a glimpse of the monster and a couple minutes later finally land my first and biggest .....

Carp !!! First one I have ever caught vertical jigging and maybe my best one ever. She was released after a couple pics to continue sucking up all the crap the city releases into the bay

Also managed a couple rock with this being the best

Rough night on the water but fun none the less. Good Fishin

Chimo

Nice Fish!!! congrats

Comment

Nice carp, fun to catch too they can be some real drag pullers.

Comment

thanks - enjoyed the report much and congrats on the BIG fish!

Comment

Wow that Carp is a behemoth!. About how long do you think it was? Nice work! I've heard of people jigging carp in the susky where you basically just about have to drop it right in front of them just to get a reaction strike, this must have been what happened. I bet you thought you had a monster Striper on! Still good pullage...
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yeah, how long and we'll add it too the record board?

Comment

Friggin awesome! There's probably a few dead bodies in that carp.
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Really nice carp!!! They are an absolute blast to catch. Really strong fish. Bet that was a blast in the yak. Were you out near the channel in front of that dirt berm? Wanting to get out there and try to get some pullage before it's too cold and the weather looks like it might cooperate some this week. Great catch.
                2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I don't care what anyone says, carp are one of the most fun fish to catch. Nice one! I talked to a guy who said he caught a monster out of the same waters. They must get really big there with lots of city crap settling to the bottom and no one fishing for them....could be an interesting place to drop some dough balls.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

Nice fish! Always fun catching something that big on a yak

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                      Wow that Carp is a behemoth!. About how long do you think it was? Nice work! I've heard of people jigging carp in the susky where you basically just about have to drop it right in front of them just to get a reaction strike, this must have been what happened. I bet you thought you had a monster Striper on! Still good pullage...
                      Thanks everyone! Didn't have a tape to measure it with but will conservativly say 33". The yak is about 30"'s across right there and the fish is angled so.... Cow striper flashed through my head for a second but the way it was fighting I knew it wasn't. Thought maybe a big cat but carp never even came to mind. Used to catch them out of the Alleghany River in NW PA as a kid but it has been a while since I had pulled one in.

New2yaks, I caught him on the north side of the channel straight across from the dirt berm and riprap. If you look across the channel and see the barges that are anchored there right now, bear off to the west a hair and there is an old set of piers. The carp seem to be piled in there pretty thick. It is right by the "13' " mark on chart 12281, northeast of bouy #4 and North west of "A"PRIV next to what I guess is an old boat slip. They have the pier marked on there. I also picked a decent rock up on that flat that runs out to the channel and the white perch seemed to be stacked up in 15-20fow right there. Good fishin

Chimo

Comment

Nice fish! I've caught them on shad darts, but the stories about carp being caught on jigs always seemed a little hard to believe. But you've got the proof right there. Congrats.

Comment

I used to catch lots of carp in spring in susquehana, hooked in mouth on grubs.A good friend of mine caught a 29lb. Carp on 3" twister tail fishing for stripers. My dad caught one over 25lbs. Slow cranking a rattle trap. Carp are a blast to catch. I want to get one on fly rod.
                          Last edited by new2yaks11; 11-10-2011, 10:23 AM.
                          2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Man look at that big ole rubber lips. I bet that got the heart pumping.

Great job Chimo.

Comment

Originally posted by new2yaks11 View Post
                              I used to catch lots of carp in spring in susquehana, hooked in mouth on grubs.A good friend of mine caught a 29lb. Carp on 3" twister tail fishing for stripers. My dad caught one over 25lbs. Slow cranking a rattle trap. Carp are a blast to catch. I want to get one on fly rod.
                              In 13 more years you will be able to catch all you want on a fly rod in the Potomac. The last 17 year cicada hatch had them in a feeding frenzy for a month. We were catching them on everything from small pop-r's, rebel cicada's, twitching rapalas on the surface, hair bugs, etc in the C&O canal and the back waters above chain bridge. If it was a similar size and color to the hatching cicada's and twitching on the surface they got ate. It was a blast.

Comment

Working...
                              X