Harbor Hosp: tues 10/08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Hosp: tues 10/08

Well third time was a charm, got to the ramp a little later then I wanted 11:30am and headed out to try some jigging where "daddyg" had luck the other day. First drift landed a nice 28" striper on a 6" chart BKD ( game on ) continued for another 30 min and landed 4 more stripers with only 1 under 18". Decided to try trolling the channel again where I had luck sunday, hour and half later only 1 17 incher to show for it so I made my way back over to my first stop and jigged up one more before the bite totally died.

After making my way back to the ramp I noticed an older gentleman that I have seen fishing from the peir many times and struck up a conversation with him. He said how he loved rock fish but has only been able to catch catfish and perch, so I went to my cooler and gave him both of mine I had caught . He was very thankful and could not wait to get home and cook them up.

Nice Ill be out here sat. with my son...
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Wow, a 28" striper... Nice going!
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Awesome gesture to offer the fish to him. Congrats on a great day on the water.
        Sun Fishin'

Comment

Nice job and great gesture! It feels good to help someone else when you've been fortunate. I actually met a guy over there as well, who's name was Paul. He was trying hard, but didn't really have the right stuff to catch them. I gave him a jointed lure, and a pair of fish...to which he took a pic of me in my yak with the fish. I'm not sure who was more excited...I think I was because I finally had a pic not taken at arms length. HH has quickly become one of my favorite places to fish. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

How much weight did you need on the jig?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

I Need to Go

I've never fished salt water before in my kayak and usually hit the Upper Potomac for smallies. But I need to hit Harbor Hospital this weekend sometime. I've only got spinning bass rods. Do I have any chance of catching anything out there if I paddle around and troll some jerk baits? Or do I need some other sort of gear/live bait? I'm going to try and get out there on Saturday morning if at all possible.

Comment

Spinning bass rods will work fine. If you have any deep diving crankbaits, you should be able to find some fish on them... I caught a short and had another knockdown on a glass shad-rap a couple of weeks ago.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks

Thanks. I've got a few deep diving crank baits. I'll give them a try and see what happens. Are there any maps showing the markers that I can access via the internet?

Tom

Comment

I use the NOAA online chart viewer a lot, here is the one for the baltimore harbor:

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12281.shtml

If you zoom in to the upper left corner you will see the hospital marked on the chart. Marker 10 is labeled with a pink triangle just east of Ferry Bar point. You can find Marker 7 east of Marker 10 on the end of the Ferry Bar Channel.

Hope this helps...
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Fantastic!

Fantastic link! I never would have discovered that on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                      Thanks. I've got a few deep diving crank baits. I'll give them a try and see what happens. Are there any maps showing the markers that I can access via the internet?

Tom
                      The markers are close its a tight channel the east side going out is shallow the west side is where I hit a nice 27... Your rod are fine I use med lite spinn. 8 to 10 test and my hvy carolina sticks for trolling 20 lb braid.
                      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X