Kayak Crabbing 11/19/2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Crabbing 11/19/2011

I wanted to test out my kayak crabbing gear to test out some of the improvements that I implemented since my first kayak crabbing trip in October. This would be a personal best for me. It is the latest that I have ever crabbed on my canoe or kayak. I did some research and everyone on the forums were telling me to head further south, like the Patuxent River at Solomon's Island and crab in 20 feet or more of water. I read some reports of crabbers catching some crabs there several days ago.

My friend Steve (Toadfinger) would accompany me on this experimental trip. Since my kayak was outfitted to run a trot line , I gave him 8 topless traps to use. I baited a 600 foot snood line Friday night and I extended the lines on my trap floats and trot line anchor to allow us to crab in 20 to 40 feet of water.

Steve met me at my house at 8am. After chatting for awhile Steve realized that he had forgotten his kayak seat at home, so we drove back to his house so he could pickup his seat. This was the first series of errors that we had to persevere over the rest of the day. We were only 30 minutes behind schedule and arrived at the Solomon's Island boat ramp just after 9:45 am. The wind was blowing more than the 5 to 10 mph winds that were predicted for today. Fortunately, the Patuxent offered us some shelter. After seeing the chop on the water was not bad, we proceeded to pay our $5 bucks to launch our kayaks. We launched about 30 minutes later and proceeded to cross the Patuxent. I used my FF/GPS to scan the area depths. I found my target depth of 20 to 25 feet. Steve proceeded to deploy the 8 traps. I proceeded to put out the trot line. This is when the next series of errors occurred. As I was deploying the first anchor I reached over to get my float and the anchor line slipped out of my had and quickly made its way to the bottom of the Patuxent. While deploying the crab traps, Steve ended up loosing one, so we were down to 7 crab traps and a trot line with one anchor. I determined that I was still able to crab with the one anchor. I would just only be able to crab in one direction moving from the anchor to the chain at the other end of the trot line.

Steve and I caught crabs. It was the latest in the year that I have done this. I got crabs at 25 feet, but not in large numbers. Towards the end of the day I moved the chain end of the trot line from 25 feet of water to 40 feet of water! Well, that was this best thing that I could have done. Now, I started to pickup larger and heavier crabs at 35 to 37 feet of water. They are definitely moving deep. I wanted to see how Steve was doing, just to find out the crab trap number 7 was missing. We had no idea what happened to it. So now Steve was down to 6 traps. Despite all of these error, about $40 in gear, we still had fun (priceless), and we caught just over 1/2 bushel of crabs, about 54 which we split before going home. It got dark quickly. We were just pulling out of the parking lot when all daylight vanished. Perfect timing, and a good time.

Well, the crabs are still there, but very deep. Even in this cold water the crabs still liked chicken necks and legs. I was surprised home much the crabs wanted to hold on to the line from 37 feet of water. I did see some crabs jump off, but enough was coming to the surface to make it interesting. Steve ended up catching 9 crabs in the traps up to 30feet in depth. I was amazed of all of the little crabs and immature females that I encountered. We got some good crabs, but I expected to see alot more jumbo size crabs for this time of year. I guess if I started out in the 40 foot of water, then I would have caught more of the larger variety of crabs. All in all it was a good day.
    Attached Files

Wow, thats some crab dedication! My crabbing at the October meet and greet was the latest that I've ever crabbed, but this is well beyond that. I guess you're next goal will be to catch crabs on the last day of the season! Anyways, I am really impressed, good work! Glad you persevered through the bad luck and other errors and made out with some nice crabs.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

This was an experiment that really paid off.....I guess that is why my friends jokingly call me The Crab Whisperer

This the latest that I have every crabbed....but I got'em.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by moc; 11-20-2011, 12:08 AM.

Comment

WTG Crab Whisperer..
        GB

Comment

Nice!
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Congratulations on your late-season crabbing success. I had not realized that recreational crabbers were still out there fishing this late in the fall.

If losing anchors is a problem, consider making some spares by pouring concrete in a coffee can or jar, then adding an eye bolt or U-bolt before the concrete hardens. Or find some old broken concrete blocks or worn out brake disks that are heavy enough to keep the trotline down.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the idea on the anchor, but I have an extra one at home. The anchors that I use look like a thin brick of lead. They hold real well and dig into the ground. They are pretty compact which is great for carrying on a kayak.

Comment

sweet! Nice info. I've always wondered what the crabs did as it got colder and how long into the season you could reach them. A trotline in 40' of water...that's pretty wild. There were probably a lot more that dropped off that you never saw so you probably found a great spot.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Way to go crab whisperer!!! Nice Job. You gotta show me how you crab with a trot line in your yak. I think considering the cost of a cheap homemade anchor and a trap, You still came out ahead of the game...
                  Tom Brown
                  Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                  2012 Hobie PA 14'
                  Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                  2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Uh oh ......... Martin's got the crabs ........

Good Job buddy !!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
                      Way to go crab whisperer!!! Nice Job. You gotta show me how you crab with a trot line in your yak. I think considering the cost of a cheap homemade anchor and a trap, You still came out ahead of the game...
                      The trot line is more work, but it is more productive than using the traps. My friend caught 9 crabs with traps as compared to my 1/2 bushel with the trot line.

Comment

Nice work, Martin. There were some nice looking crabs in there.
                        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I really enjoyed reading about your crabbing experience. I am looking forward to the spring so I can get back out in my yak and try to get some crabs. I need to make a trot line while I rehab my shoulder this winter.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                          X