Hungry Severn pickerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hungry Severn pickerel

After two weeks of business travel followed by a week recovering from flu, I have not gone fishing in 3 weeks. But today, I could not pass up a calm and beautiful morning. I launched the kayak at 8:45 on a flat calm Severn. I paddled a while to reach my destination then began casting. My absence from fishing left me a bit rusty -- I failed to charge the fishfinder battery and found it dead, and I left my landing net in the garage.

I fished an area that held loads of perch all summer. It appears that the perch have all departed for other spots -- I did not get any perch bites today. But I did find some toothy denizens lurking in various spots. In two hours of casting, I caught five pickerel from 17" to 23" and had at least two other bites that did not stay hooked up.

The first 3 fish of the day came on a Strike King Micro-King 1/16-oz spinnerbait in sun perch color. All fish were caught in shallow water (1-3 ft) - the light lure ran up near the surface and stayed out of the green slime on the bottom. The first fish was long and strong. Without the landing net, I was nervous about trying to lift a fresh fish into the kayak, so I let the fish make a series of runs before trying to lift it in the boat. I had hold of the line 4" above the lure when it made one last lurch and spit the hook. I would have liked a photo and length measurement on that guy -- I estimate it to be 22-23".

The next two fish were smaller (17" and 19"). I watched the 19" fish hit the lure 5 ft from the kayak. I was ready to lift the lure from the water for the next cast, when a greenish-yellow torpedo dashed in and took the lure. The 2 to 3-ft visibility today was definitely better than it has been for a while.

After working the same area for a while without more bites, I moved to a slightly deeper area (5-8 ft). I cast a 4" Gulp swimming mullet on a 1/4-oz jighead (I used a salt and pepper colored Gulp today that looked similar to natural minnow color). This lure was considerably heavier and rode near the bottom. The catching was not fast and furious, but I did bring a 22" and a 23" to the boat. Both were measured and serve as my first and second entries for the Severn River Rod and Keg Club pickerel derby (min size - 21").

Among the challenges of subduing a large fish and taking its picture while still afloat in the kayak is that some times it is not possible to lean back far enough to get a good clear shot of the entire fish on the board.

Now as the water is cooling off and some of the natural bait sources are becoming more scarce, the pickerel are beginning to bite live bait and lures with more interest. I suspect the pickerel will be very active over the next month as they pack away some calories for the winter months. They are also much more energetic than they will be in Jan and Feb when the water temp is far cooler.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Awesome John

Cool. I want to do that. I need to catch me some pickerel!!!!!! Hopefully I can find a few on Saturday.

Comment

congrats!! on a nice day on the water. pickerel look healthy with very good color. nice after a layoff to get back on the kayak and fish. seems after you travel about 20 yds away from the launch area...... you take a deep breath and silently say to your self.... YES!!!! ""Bent Rods & Tight Lines Always My Friend""

Comment

Nice work! I bet you really enjoyed being back on the water. Where did you launch from? I have a dozen shiners leftover from my last two less than stellar outings. I wonder how these would work under a float for those toothy critters...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

congrats - that's a nice fat fish !

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
            Where did you launch from? I have a dozen shiners leftover from my last two less than stellar outings. I wonder how these would work under a float for those toothy critters...
            Ryan -

Today I launched from Jonas Green. The grass between the parking lot and the beach was soggy from yesterday's rain.

Normally when I target pickerel in the winter, I use a live minnow on a 1/8-oz jighead. I learned this technique from the premier Magothy pickerel fisherman, Virgil Poe, who has tutored me for several years. I have not had a chance to get to a tackle shop to stock up on minnows so I decided to try two lures that have done well during the fall months. They definitely worked today.

I think that live minnows are particularly attractive to the pickerel in the dead of winter when there is not a lot of other food around. Cast the minnow out and slowly drag it back. Every so often you will feel extra weight on the line. Pull back gently -- if you feel a head shake or the line moves, you have a pickerel.

Some guys I know fish a minnow suspended beneath a bobber -- I have never tried that, but it does seem to work. You can do it while fishing from the shore or from a kayak.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Im fishing tomorrow, but it will be a game time decision of going after linksiders or linesiders... or both. Either way should be a great day
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice! Cool looking fish them pickerels.
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice fish John! I need to get back out on the Severn and try for some Pickerel.

Comment

I tried today, but had no luck. I fished in Cool Spring Creek, Winchester pond and the other cove between winchester pond and jonas green. Not sure of the name of this cove. I used a Maryland tackle spinnner, gulp swimming mullet and live shiners.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                      I tried today, but had no luck. I fished in Cool Spring Creek, Winchester pond and the other cove between winchester pond and jonas green. Not sure of the name of this cove. I used a Maryland tackle spinnner, gulp swimming mullet and live shiners.
                      Too bad you did not catch any today. But it sure was a nice November day to get on the water. During Jan -Feb 2011, I fished 5-6 times in different Severn tribs and did not get a single bite. Then on March 1, I tried another trib that I had not visited before -- they were there in good numbers and in a wide range of sizes, suggesting a reproducing population in that trib. As I have been reporting here and on Tidalfish, brackish water is at the very edge of a pickerel's tolerance range. If one particular creek experiences a bad water quality event (e.g., low DO and high temp in the summer), it can wipe out or severely restrict an entire creek's population.

Keep looking -- they are out there somewhere.

P.S. I just read on the Tidalfish SRRKC board that Smith's Marina in Crownsville is now closed for the year.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

Nice fish, John. Those 23-inchers are almost citation fish. I wish there were more spots in the upper Severn to launch.
                        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I've still never caught a pickerel. I'm jealous

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                          Alan

Comment

Me too.

Me too.

Comment

Working...
                            X