Black Friday Stripers in Herring Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Friday Stripers in Herring Bay

My boat trip for Stripers got canceled on Black Friday and it was too nice of a day to not be fishing so my buddy and I grabbed the yaks and headed out in Herring Bay to see what we could do.

Got on the water around 9 am and paddled over to the jetties at Herrington Harbor South where I had hooked up with the big striper school a couple of weeks ago. Water clarity is +/- 3' which is half of what it was 2 weeks ago. Firts two casts pulled some fish out of the rocks but I couldn't hook 'em. It's so cool to see them strike the lure next to you in that clear water though!

Managed to catch 4 stripers between 13" and 17" by noon but I really had to work to get them to strike. Best lure was a 1/2 oz chartreuse bucktail with a grub or swim mullet on it.

We ended up back out around 1 pm after lunch and hit the same spot with the higher tide and I got another 17" and the 18 1/8" whopper below. All in all it was a good day.
    Attached Files

Thanks for the report. I've spent a lot of time on Google Earth looking at that jetty, but I never have bit the bullet and driven up there to check it out. Good to know it holds fish.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

John, Could you please educate me (and the rest of us too embarassed to ask) as to where this spot is? I've heard poeple mention it on here before but never knew where it was located. I think its in Delaware but not 100% on that.
      Thanks buddy,
      Tom Brown
      Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
      2012 Hobie PA 14'
      Ocean Kayak Tident 13
      2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Its my herrington Harbor in Rosehaven,md

Comment

It is just south of Deale and just north of North Beach. There are two Herrington Harbor locations -- the post refers to the southern one of the two.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
            John, Could you please educate me (and the rest of us too embarassed to ask) as to where this spot is? I've heard poeple mention it on here before but never knew where it was located. I think its in Delaware but not 100% on that.
            Thanks buddy,
            Tom,

In case the other posts didn't help you locate it, the spot is about 30 mins south of Annapolis. Straight down Route 2, left on 261 at the 2nd traffic circle, follow +/- 4 miles 'til you see the bay. Park/launch is on the left after you pass the marina/resort.

ichtalurus,

It is a fun spot to fish. I catch tons of good sized White Perch there all summer on the oyster beds to the right of the launch with some croaker, spot and blues mixed in. The fall has been nothing but stripers off the jetties.

If anyone wants to try the spot out let me know, it is only a few minutes from my house and I would be more than happy to meet and show you around.

Comment

Here is a crappy cell phone pic of the launch. The jetties are off to the left a couple hundred yards and the oyster beds are just around the point on the right.
              Attached Files

Comment

looks like a nice place, we'll have to get together in the spring and catch some fish

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                  looks like a nice place, we'll have to get together in the spring and catch some fish
                  I will like to try it too.....

Comment

Just let me know when you want to come down. I will be out there this weekend if the weather is decent. I just got waders and I have to use them so the wifey doesn't start whining about me wasting money

Comment

Friend of mine had family who kept a boat there but never fished the jetties. I am interested in checking it out as it is one of the closest spots for me distance wise on the bay. How long do the striper remain active? When is the perch fishing hot?

Thanks,

Meadeo
                      2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Looks like a nice spot indeed!! We should try to make it one of the M&G's for next year. Either way im in for the spring. I'm done for the year with the arm in a sling. Pulled a Pectoral muscle several weeks ago. Just waiting on surgery now. I've always wanted to fish around North Beach and Ches. Beach in the Yak. Maybe next year...
                        Tom Brown
                        Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                        2012 Hobie PA 14'
                        Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                        2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Stripers run through December. There may be some after that but I haven't had waders until now to try it when it's really cold. Perch run from mid-spring into mid-fall in the shallows and I'm sure there are some out in the deeper water after that. Most of Herring bay is very shallow (2-8 ft) so when the water gets cold the Perch move out quickly.

I think a M&G there is a great idea. One issue is very limited parking. There is only room for about 4 vehicles between the two parking/launch areas. I have a buddy that kayak fishes who lives about four blocks from the launches, I could probably persuede him to provide a parking lot at his house for the day.

Comment

Working...
                          X