No announcement yet.

December 4th- Striper fishing strategies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tip on the Cutco knife, Ron. Think I'm going to ask my wife for a Christmas present.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I will gladly share my fishing strategies and techniques with my forum mates- This is basically a method of trolling I have used successfully for decades with my power boats- I trolled four rods many times out of my Outback- the only problem comes when you hook up and have a fish on- because of this, I rarely troll more than three rods now and mostly troll two- sometimes three like this past weekend when fish are scattered and you are searching for them and not sure what lures are hot-

When I see the rod bend from a fish strike, I peddle like crazy and just leave the rod in the holder making sure the hook is set in the fish, then I slow down the peddling some and pull the rod out of the holder- never giving the fish any slack- keep the pressure on...I continue to peddle slowly just enough to keep the rod without a fish from having slack line- that way I don't normally tangle- you can't do that in any boat except a Hobie mirage drive- That is the main reason I bought a Hobie- hands free fishing while propelling the boat with your feet- it is a huge advantage over any other kayak.

Tuf- She was into CUTCO products- Her uncle was a distributor- she also got me a CUTCO hunting knife that is amazing- it is twenty years old and I rarely use it- too damn sharp- cuts through the hide when you are trying to skin a deer and if you touch it it cuts you just like a damn razor- it scares you to use it on game except to cut up the meat after skinning and gutting the animal- I use a Buck Skinner for that-
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-06-2011, 08:40 PM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the reply on your technique. I really like the method of setting the hook and after that it is not much different than a power boat technique. As I said before I have yet to work a big fish in the yak. My biggest is a 22 or 23" rock in my Old Town Otter XT. No, I have gone for a sleigh ride behind a ray so I guess I ready for a rockfish ride.

If you are ever looking for someone to fish with in the Piney Point area please shoot me a PM. (I guess that has to wait for spring at this point) I've caught a lot of croaker at Stewart's pier and plenty of perch in Piney Creek. I'm looking to catch rock and blues come next year.

TTYaker

Comment

I am not finished kayak fishing for the year, yet- the winter weather this weekend may have an effect as the quick surface water temp drop from snow and cold rain may shut off the bite for a few days until it stabilizes, but until the deep water temps drop a lot more than it is now, I think the fish will still be there- and I haven't seen any shorts at all- Kevin and I noticed that Veteran's Day fishing at St. Jerome's Creek- everything we caught was legal keepers.

Comment

Hey Tall Timbers--

Is your yak red? I think I've seen you fishing under the bridge a few times at Piney Point. Welcome to the forum.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Congrats on some nice solid fishin and catchin!!

Comment

Ictalurus,

No, I have a moss green Pro Angler. I only got it in September and have spent some days fishing the area around the pier. Prior to that I mostly fished Piney Creek in a green Old Town Otter.

I'll be watching for you guys come spring and possibly even this season if I get daring and take the yak on the river.

Tight lines,
                TTYaker

Comment

Originally posted by Tall_Timbers_Kayaker View Post
                  Ictalurus,

No, I have a moss green Pro Angler. I only got it in September and have spent some days fishing the area around the pier. Prior to that I mostly fished Piney Creek in a green Old Town Otter.

I'll be watching for you guys come spring and possibly even this season if I get daring and take the yak on the river.

Tight lines,
                  TTYaker
                  Bill and Moc took me on my very first kayak fishing trip and showed me the ropes- I had never sat in a kayak before and they patiently shared their knowledge and coached me through the first outing last March in Wheatly lake in Charles County- and as an added bonus we caught fish- my advice is don't watch, join us- we are willing to show you what we know and keep you out of trouble-

Comment

Ronaulmtd,

I am interested in what you wear while kayaking at this time of year. I am somewhat of a chicken as we are way below the 120 rule my former Navy buds have impressed upon me. Essentially that rule says if air temp plus water temp (in degrees Fahrenheit) when added together come up with a result less than 120 then one should wear some type of cold weather gear. I need to get something but as I said in an earlier post I am cash strapped at the moment. I plan on a dry top and chest waders with a belt at some time in the future or dry top and dry pants.

Any comments?

Hope to fish with you sometime in the future,

TTYaker

Comment

TT- I wear lightweight Under Amour poly long johns as a base layer- then a flannel long sleeve shirt, fleece vest and usually a pair of heavy weight sweat pants with thick wool boot socks then over this comes the lightweight, breathable stocking foot waders- over the top of the waders is a NRS dry top and a wader belt- I wear a Cabelas River Drover hat year round when fishing and a pair of Costa Hammerhead sunglasses-

Comment

Ronaultmtd,

Thanks for the reply. I need waders and a dry top. I also need some experience climbing back on the PA in warm water. I'm an old guy who wants to get much older. I will be looking forward to meeting you and others in the spring when I am better outfitted. For now I'll get some exercise on the creek and scare the fish away in a motorized boat. I'll keep reading these posts and wishing I had the gear but the grandkids come first on the Christmas presents.

Come spring I'll do some swimming around the PA and get used to climbing back on - that way I'll ensure I never turtle, well I'll hope that guarantees I'll never turtle.

Tight lines and Happy Holidays,
                        TTYaker

Comment

Originally posted by Tall_Timbers_Kayaker View Post
                          Ronaultmtd,

Thanks for the reply. I need waders and a dry top. I also need some experience climbing back on the PA in warm water. I'm an old guy who wants to get much older. I will be looking forward to meeting you and others in the spring when I am better outfitted. For now I'll get some exercise on the creek and scare the fish away in a motorized boat. I'll keep reading these posts and wishing I had the gear but the grandkids come first on the Christmas presents.

Come spring I'll do some swimming around the PA and get used to climbing back on - that way I'll ensure I never turtle, well I'll hope that guarantees I'll never turtle.

Tight lines and Happy Holidays,
                          TTYaker
                          Us old geezers need to stick together- I turn 66 in the spring

Comment

Ronaultmtd,
                            i
                            You are right, I'm a tad younger, I will be 60 in August, but I want to enjoy the Pro Angler for a lot of years to come. I hope to meet you in person sometime in the coming year. Please let me know when you head this way, especially when you plan to fish out of Piney Point as I live a 1 mile paddle from the gas docks.

Once again, thanks for all the info.

TTYaker

Comment

Sheesh....you guys make it sound like ur having to roll out of the wheelchair into the yak! I know different, ......at least with Ron. I bet you could both paddle me under the table!

BTW I'd love a tall timbers launch and a fish down to the docks from upriver....
                              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Kevin,

I hope to fish with you too. No wheel chair, just peddles and a paddle.

TTYaker
                                Tall Timbers

Comment

Working...
                                X