3 species @ St. Mary's Lake, 12/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 species @ St. Mary's Lake, 12/17

Got my December fish with 2 weeks to spare.

I couldn't decide where to fish today, but I was getting antsy about getting my December fish. I figured St. Mary's Lake would be a good bet even if the fish are small, and I wouldn't have to cover 10+ miles. Also, I was really hoping to find some pickerel.

I waited for things to warm up and ended up launching just before noon. The wind was blowing 15-20, which was 10mph more than predicted. All the sunny spots I wanted to fish were in the wind. I tried jigging and trolling, but I wanted some shelter and headed for a cove that usually holds winter fish.

After a long while, I picked up a 9"+ yellow perch, which was really cool to see:

I've heard of people catching them there, but that's my first one in the lake. It hit a 2" fire tiger floating Rapala. I should call that lure the "St. Mary's Special" because I've caught a lot of winter fish on it. Anyway, that one fish transformed me from an idiot freezing his butt off to rugged winter angler skillfully stalking his quarry.

I also had small bass in the same area. The Rapala fouled when I casted it, and I was popping it trying to untangle it without having to reel it in. It untangled, and the bass hit it as I started reeling. However, I lost the fish at the boat because the hook were still tangled.

I kept poking around and ended up at a pickerel-y looking spot. I cast the Rapala toward a good ambush point, and a 16" pickerel hit it as I reeled it past the point:

That was pretty rewarding. I thought there should be a pickerel there, I had a good cast, and I could tell it was a pickerel as soon as it hit.

I also picked up another little bass in the same area and actually landed it:

According to my sonar, the water temp was 46*, but the air temp was below that, especially with the wind. I definitely didn't dress warm enough because the forecast was for mostly sunny, and it was completely cloudy the entire time. Anyway, I was glad to get out and get my December fish, and it was way more satisfying than staying home and doing yard work.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

looks like fun!
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

way to go! i like that " idiot freezing his butt off" LOL i should change that to my screen name

Comment

Yeah Surf, or condense it. "Idfree Hibo".....got a ring to it!
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I wonder if the fish are biting at Wheatly?
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice! Good looking fish. Congrats on the December fish!
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice going!

Those will be my January fish.

joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Nice going Bill. Congratulations on getting three species, especially the pickerel.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks, gents.

Ron--I thought about driving up to Wheatley to try for any leftover trout, but I think the park closes during the winter. I didn't want to drive up there only to find it closed.
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                  X