Meat was the treat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat was the treat

I had been catching pickerel consistently in a Severn River tributary from mid-November until Decenber 3 using various spinner baits and Gulp baits. I had not fished for nearly two weeks when I headed back to my spot last Thurs. That day I had no bites during an hour and a half of casting. That was a signal to me to switch to my winter pickerel mode -- live minnows. They definitely produced today.

I picked up some live minnows at Anglers on Friday. (Note: I tried another tackle shop first but they had no minnows in stock -- if you want minnows it may be a good idea to call first). I launched my kayak this afternoon from a mid-Severn launch spot and paddled a while to reach my pickerel spot. I hooked a frisky minnow on a 1/8-oz jighead and cast it out using a 6' ultralight rod. I had no action on the first four casts, but after that things picked up. In just under two hours, I hooked 13 pickerel and landed 7 of them up to 23-1/4".

I had several other bumps that never hooked up. The pickerel have relocated from some of the locations where I had caught them just a few weeks earlier. The water temperature was in the mid-40s, which slowed down most of the fish. Two of the fish must have had caffeine recently as they jumped out of the water and gave me a tail-walk. At the end of the two hours, my hands had gotten so cold, I could barely hook a new minnow on the jighead and reluctantly paddled back to the launch spot.

When I had launched two hours earlier, I met Chimo returning to the park. He told me that he had found both perch and rockfish on some nearby structure (Chimo - nice to meet you and thanks for the tip). I could not resist the temptation to stop and try a drift or two over the same structure where he had fished. I was not really rigged well for jigging in >20' depth, but used the light jighead and a lightweight 5'6" rod that I had onboard. To my delight, I hooked something strong on the first drift. It turned out to be a fat 21.5" rockfish. All fish today were quickly returned to the water. I made a few more drifts but had no more action.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

So you just hook the minnows through the lips on a bare jig head??? How far do you cast?
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nice work on the pickerel pattern, John. That striper must've been a blast on your light tackle.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice work! I really would like to shadow you on one of your severn pickerel trips... Im off the next two weeks...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Updated your RECORD***

Nice Work

Comment

Thanks guys.

Kevin - you are correct. I use a small jighead (typically 1/4-oz, 1/8-oz, or 1/16-oz). There is a fine balance in jighead selection -- the more weight, the longer the cast. But the area I am fishing is 7 ft deep or less. If the jighead is too heavy, I either drag it slowly on the bottom and get covered in green slime or retrieve it too fast for the fish to react in cold water conditions. Today the 1/8-oz worked fine. Two weeks ago I used the 1/4-oz jighead with Gulp baits. The water was 5 deg warmer then so I could retrieve a bit faster.

I run the hook through the bottom lip and out the top lip. I noticed that most of the strikes came when the minnow was still lively and wiggling. After several casts, the whipping action of the rod probably stunned the poor minnow so it did not swim anymore. I did not have a single minnow stripped off the hook by a strike today. But after being mouthed by the pickerel, the minnow remained inactive -- either scared to death or somehow injured by the "mouthing". If I did not get a hit in 10 casts with the same minnow, I removed that one and used a fresh one.

I cast as far as I can -- I estimate it is about 75-100 feet.

Ictalurus - I'm sorry you were unable to join me today -- the bite was definitely on. The rockfish catch was great and unexpected.

Shadyfisher - Let's work on a day to get out there. Let me know when you would like to go.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice to meet you as well! I'm not sure when my next trip out will be but I might have to give the pickeral a shot. Ecspecially if places up north don't start freezing over so I can get on the ice soon! Good Fishin

Chimo

Comment

nice john, glad the minnows worked. tried some small hard baits at beachwood but nothing biting, should have gotten minnows but only had a short opportunity to fish

Comment

I may not have a vehicle to transport my yak next week, but other than that any day is good for me...

Im taking my ride to the body shop tomorrow finally to get it fixed from my accident on 12/8. Long story short I got sandwiched between two full size pickup trucks in my little ford escape. The other driver's insurance finally claimed full liability last friday. Im getting a rental suv, but I doubt it will have a roof rack...

Hopefully I can figure something out because Id like to try for YP next week too
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

in nc we use pogie(menhaeden) and popeye mullet on a 1/2 ounce or 3/4 hookup pearl jighead to catch flounder trout and drum.i use the same rig in the south river but with mud minnows or menhaeden,hooking live or cut bait on a jighead is very effective and has good results.

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
                      in nc we use pogie(menhaeden) and popeye mullet on a 1/2 ounce or 3/4 hookup pearl jighead to catch flounder trout and drum.i use the same rig in the south river but with mud minnows or menhaeden,hooking live or cut bait on a jighead is very effective and has good results.
                      The rig you describe might work for deeper waters (for example, perch or striper fishing in a deep hole or over deep structure), but is probably too heavy for the relatively shallow tributaries where pickerel live. I use a 1/8-oz or 1/16-oz jighead with live minnow (small to medium minnows work better than large minnows). You might get away with a 1/4-oz, but anything heavier is likely to sink to the bottom too fast and get covered with green slime.

You could keep a heavier jighead off the bottom by retrieving the lure faster, but in the cold water, a slow retrieve is more likely to get bitten.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

If you dont mine me asking where do you launch from? Been away for a while and have the itch to get back in the water. Cold weather be damned!

Comment

Originally posted by jarradw View Post
                          If you dont mine me asking where do you launch from? Been away for a while and have the itch to get back in the water. Cold weather be damned!
                          There are only a few legitimate public launch areas in the Severn. They are:

1) Jonas Green Park (base of the Rt 450 bridge across from the Naval Academy).
                          2) Tucker Street ramp into Weems Creek
                          3) Truxton Park (head of Spa Creek). Any of these will get you into fishable waters in a fairly short distance.

The map below shows where these are located. There are many other locations on private land. If you have a friend who lets you launch from his/her community beach or ramp, you can get access to a wider range of spots.

If you do decide to fish in cold air/water, please take extra safety precautions. An unexpected tumble into chilly water can be a serious hazard.
                          Attached Files
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

Thanks and yes, I have a suit for the cold. Just upgraded the jacket to bright orange as well so you can see me from space Trying to catch up on all the posts since I was last on, you guys have been busy.

Comment

Working...
                            X