Cold, windy, but the fish were biting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold, windy, but the fish were biting

I fished from my kayak for 2 hours and 15 minutes this afternoon. The Severn was loaded with white caps, making my upstream paddle slow going. Before long I entered the sheltered tributary where I fished earlier this week. The fish were in the same locations where they were on the other two days. I thought I would have an easy day after catching a "hammer handle" pickerel on the first cast, and getting bites on 3 of the next 5 casts. But the bite slowed down after that.

I did get a minor Severn winter slam with 13 pickerel (12" to 22"), 4 modest white perch, and one 14" rockfish. I was hoping for a yellow perch to get the full slam, but it did not happen. The wind proved to be gusty even in the tributary. It was hard to keep the kayak in a good position for casting. My fingers got so cold that for the last 45 minutes it was hard to put the minnows on the hook. Now, almost two hours after coming off the water, my toes are still cold.

This may be the first time in my life that I caught fish on Christmas eve. I have certainly enjoyed this week's fishing opportunities, catching more than 40 pickerel in 4 outings, all within less than 2 miles of the State House. I forgot to mention it on the earlier posts, but I saw a bald eagle on three of the four trips this weeks, including one that soared above me for 20 minutes today.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Awesome! Glad you found the fish biting again. I look forward to getting on the water a couple times next week.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

WTG John!
      You are on fire this winter!
      GB

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
        Awesome! Glad you found the fish biting again. I look forward to getting on the water a couple times next week.
        Ryan -

I found fish in the places I described to you. They are there waiting for a meal whenever you find the time to get there.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
        X