First fish of the year + a citation white perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First fish of the year + a citation white perch

One of my goals for 2012 is to catch a fish in every month (I did not catch any fish in Jan or Feb last year). With tomorrow's forecasted large drop in temperature, I decided to give it a shot today. I launched my kayak at a mid-Severn River location and paddled to a small tributary that allowed me to stay out of the worst of the wind.

For the first 45 minutes I could not get a bite in the deeper sections of that tributary where the pickerel have been as recently as last Thurs. Eventually, I moved to a shallower section of the tributary that had not been productive during December. Today the shallows (1-4 feet) were very active. In the next 30 minutes, I caught 8 pickerel and had several others on the line that spit the hook. My first fish of the year was a 17" pickerel. That took the pressure off.

In addition to the good pickerel bite, I found one tiny pocket of white perch. I caught three of them, including a surprise whopper of at least 13.5". Conceivably, it could be the same fish I caught last fall in that tributary.

I normally carry a Hawg Trough measuring board with me, but managed to leave it at home today. Here I was with a giant perch, and no great way to measure it or hold it still for a photo. I paddled the kayak onto a sand bar, got out, and tried to measure it up against the tape on the side of the kayak, but the fish was flopping and I did not want to keep it out of the water any longer than necessary. The photos show the fish across my legs and up against the measuring tape. The closeup shows that the mouth of the fish was very near the 14" mark.

All fish were released back to the water. I kept fishing for another 45 minutes catching just one additional pickerel. It was a very satisfying afternoon. I suspect that I will take a break from kayak fishing for at least a few days with high temperatures near 30 deg.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Congrats, thats a great way to start of the year!!

Comment

Ok ........ now your goal is to catch 1 citation every month .....

Big Congrats !!!!!!!!

Comment

Thats a really nice Perch! You did a lot better than me, I spent the first day of the year sitting on the couch most of the day.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice Catches John, Now you don't have to go out again till next month... Great job on the early season citation!!
          Tom Brown
          Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
          2012 Hobie PA 14'
          Ocean Kayak Tident 13
          2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
            Nice Catches John, Now you don't have to go out again till next month..
            I have meetings in Houston on back-to-back weeks in mid January. Rather than deal with the airlines twice, I decided to stay there over the weekend. I have a friend with a beach house at Crystal Beach (barrier island to the east of Houston and Galveston). We will tentatively fish in the East Bay region of Galveston, depending on the weather. It would be nice to catch some specks and redfish in January. I hope it all works out.

I also hope to get some Susquehanna yellow perch later this month if they start schooling up.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the report. That is one big perch! Congrats on the fish.
              Sun Fishin'

Comment

Nice perch, real healthy looking. Good job.

Comment

John,
                  Always enjoy reading your Severn reports.
                  Looks like temps may moderate later in the week, any chance you'll be fishing towards the end of the week? Ive been unable to take advantage of the recent warm weather due to a busy schedule but now I'm anxious try break in my new cold weather gear.
                  Hobie PA 12

Comment

Awesome perch there, John. West Marine carries a ruler sticker that you can place on your paddle as a decent substitute for the Hawg Trough. That way, you can measure fish in your lap if you forget the Trough. The sticker on my paddle has lasted 3 or 4 years now, but I need to replace it.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by Aesiegel View Post
                      John,
                      Always enjoy reading your Severn reports.
                      Looks like temps may moderate later in the week, any chance you'll be fishing towards the end of the week? Ive been unable to take advantage of the recent warm weather due to a busy schedule but now I'm anxious try break in my new cold weather gear.
                      I have a lot of business travel later in the month. But until then, I will try to fish on most warmer days without excessive winds.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

H@ll of a perch you got there. Congratulations on the citation. I’m sure you will easily get a fish every month this year. Thanks for all you detailed Severn reports over the last several months. They are always full of great details and knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                        X