Pickerel found in Weems Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickerel found in Weems Creek

This morning, Aesiegel (Ed) and I launched at the Tucker St ramp and fished over 3 hours around most of Weems Creek. My goal today was to see if Weems had any pickerel this year (I have been unsuccessful at catching them in Weems for the past few winters).

The trip was a success. Each of us caught 5 pickerel, and Ed told me he had several other hookups that never made it to boatside. My first fish, caught less than 100 yds from the ramp on the third cast of the morning was among my smallest of the year. I measured it on the Hawg Trough at 10.5" -- a real hammer handle. My largest of the day was 18" -- not bragworthy, but still fun to catch.

We covered a lot of stretches of shoreline. We worked most of the way to the back of the creek and then all the way to the mouth. Some of the areas where I wanted to try were covered with skim ice.

All the pickerel were caught in areas where I typically find perch during the summer. I guess that is not a big surprise -- if the shoreline has good habitat, some fish is likely to use it. Ed had one small zone where he caught several pickerel in a row. All of my fish were isolated fish caught far from each other.

I am really pleased that the pickerel are making a comeback in Weems. I enjoyed meeting and fishing with Ed this morning. The photo of Ed in his kayak was not taken at a spot near where we caught any fish today.

I anticipate that I will return to the Severn on Sat morning and explore another new tributary (possibly College Creek or Carrs Creek).
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Well that's certainly good to hear. Sounds like there are several year classes of pickerel in the Severn.

Did they hit minnows or artificials?
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Nice work, gents. I was scoping out Weems Creek on Google Earth, and it seemed like it should be fishy. I wonder if the pickerel are back in Spa Creek now, too?
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
        Well that's certainly good to hear. Sounds like there are several year classes of pickerel in the Severn.

Did they hit minnows or artificials?
        I threw minnows. Ed threw artificials. I imagine he will add more information to this thread later.

Well over half of the pickerel I have caught this winter in Severn tribs are small, young fish 10" to 15". It is great to see that they are actually reproducing in the Severn.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good job guys. I would have joined you if I did not have to work. The weather was great outside for January.

Comment

Good stuff- I am in the process of putting together my new ultra light fishing tackle- ordered some new tiny lures, swim baits, reel, 4 lb. test lines, etc. I should be ready to go get em in a few days- my old UL tackle is fine, just got the itch for some new stuff-

But it also points out the obvious- Pickerel can be found in tributaries that drain in the Bay- are there fishable concentrations of pickerel in Mattawoman Creek?
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 01-06-2012, 07:25 PM.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

If this keeps up, I may have to give the Spa Creek pickerel a try.

Don't forget to try a Tiny Trap, chrome or gold. They work great on the perch in the rivers. A few years back I caught a few pickerel in the Choptank during their spawning run up to Red Bridges. I was actually trying to catch perch, but the pickerel liked the lure also.

Comment

John, thanks again for the pickerel pointers. It was great to meet you and a beautiful day to be on the water, especially for January!
                There are pickerel in Weem's Creek for sure. They seemed to like the 3" Tsunami swim shads I was using but the hook is so small. I missed a lot of fish today and it seemed to me that the tiny hook just didn't set well. Here is a link to a video I made during the day. Hope it doesn't "burn" your spots John.

Ed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6oXSqM-J_Y
                Hobie PA 12

Comment

Shouldn't- most folks won't know those spots unless they are regulars on the creek and most don't hang out on this forum, just us die hards- and besides, who is going to get dressed for cold water and go fishing but us?

It isn't like it is in the middle of June or July-
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Aesiegel View Post
                    Hope it doesn't "burn" your spots John.

Ed
                    Ed -

I enjoyed the video. Don't worry about showing the locations -- they certainly are not my private spots. I plainly announced that we fished in Weems. The fish weren't exactly jumping in the boat. Anyone else who goes looking for them will need to put in their time too.

I will head out in the next hour to try for pickerel in College Creek (bypassing the outer creek along the Naval Academy, and fishing the middle and upper sections of the creek) and try jigging on the sunken bridge debris for rockfish.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

I'm tempted to try those bridge debris again tomorrow... I look forward to hearing about how you did...
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                        I'm tempted to try those bridge debris again tomorrow... I look forward to hearing about how you did...
                        I jigged the bridge debris for nearly an hour (8:30 to 9:30 am) without a bite. The river was glassy calm and the current was not moving either. I tried agian at the end of my trip, but the drift was faster and I ended up snagging a new metal jig. After taking 10 minutes to retrieve the jig, I called it quits.

I put up a full report on another post.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

Nice. Weeks creek is my "proving grounds". Perfect place for when I'm testing new things. Nice calm back creek with very little current. Not to mention it being peaceful and scerene. Spent plenty a summer evenings on the creek there last year.

Thanks for the report
                          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                          X