Cold Severn gave up no fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Severn gave up no fish

I was out there for 3 hours today. Launched at Jonas Green at headed south, deep jigging a few points of interest on the way to Carr Creek. In the creek, I tried a Mepps spinner, a small bucktail and a small crankbait, hoping to get a pickerel or a perch. Nothing.

WT: 39* AT: 34*
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Too bad on the fish not cooperating. I probably will not get out until Sat.

Comment

When did you fish? I was out there from about 9:30 to 11:30. I had the same results as you. I kept picking up good marks suspended over the old drawbridge at about 12', but couldn't get a bite. I was probably fishing too deep.
      Last edited by Shady; 01-16-2012, 09:30 AM.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Soaking lines in the cold is never fun but it still beats a day at work. Sorry I had to back out on you, at least I've got a pass for this weekend if you want to go out and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
          When did you fish? I was out there from about 9:30 to 11:30. I had the same results as you. I kept picking up good marks suspended over the old drawbridge at about 12', but couldn't get a bite. I was probably fishing too deep.
          I was there 1:30 - 4:30. I got a late start that morning and got further delayed by some work issues but got out nonetheless. On my way out, I saw a group of about 20 windsurfers on the water... that's dedication for sure! But no fish... If the old drawbridge is the submerged debris that extends from the fishing pier, then yeah, I marked a bunch there too, but couldn't get a bite.

Originally posted by nay_sayer;
          Soaking lines in the cold is never fun but it still beats a day at work. Sorry I had to back out on you, at least I've got a pass for this weekend if you want to go out and try again.
          Definitely beats a day at work, and I gotta say, I did had fun despite the skunky smell. My cold gear held up well. Only my hands started getting cold towards the end. I won't be here this weekend unfortunately... business trip to California... looking forward to good reports from you guys though!
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Yep, thats the spot. I'm wondering if I could have picked something up trolling over it with crankbaits... guess I'll never know.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I thought about going yesterday. I checked out Spa Creek, and the wind was blowing pretty hard. My fingers quit working before I got the yak off the car, so I figured that was a bad sign and bagged it.

In other news, there appears to be a $5 fee for launching at Spa Creek. They have a credit card slide machine there, but I didn't see any way to pay cash.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

For everyone? I know the pay box I've seen in the past was for trailers...
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                  For everyone? I know the pay box I've seen in the past was for trailers...
                  The wording on the sign made it seem like it was for everyone, but I could be wrong about that. The last time I fished there was about 5 years ago, and it was free then, so I was surprised to see the pay box this time.
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Sorry to hear that the Severn gave up no fish today. There are fish out there, but they are not spaced equally everywhere. Sometimes it takes a while to find where they are, which can be particularly frustrating on a cold day.

Regarding the Truxton Park ramp, I believe that the fee applies to ramp users. If you launch your kayak from the sandy area to the left of the ramp, I don't think you need to worry. Because the park hosts many types of users in addition to boaters, I don't believe you need to pay the fee for using portions of the park other than the ramp. They really don't have any way of checking, anyway.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                    X