Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harbor Hospital.... slightly nicer today ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Hospital.... slightly nicer today ;)

Launched from Harbor Hospital again today and was catching rays instead of spray! Did some more scouting around and was able to find a hole with some fish in it. Ended up snagging 3 shad on a rattletrap and landed a 22ish Rock Fish on a 1/2 ounce jig head chartreuse 6" bkd combo. Good Fishin

Chimo

Nice one, Wayne! That's a hefty 22-incher. That's a light jighead than I usually use. Was the fish suspended?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I'm not sure you would call it suspended because I was only in about 8 fow. He picked it up on the fall after a couple pretty aggressive jigs.

Chimo

Comment

Wow, that's shallow. Maybe I should hit St. Jerome's sometime. Is there a WWD nearby?
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

nice!

Comment

NICE CHIMO, you the man

Comment

Beautiful fish! Glad you went back to get your revenge.
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                Is there a WWD nearby?
                I believe so although people are so tight lipped about it I couldn't say for sure I stumbled across an article from the late 90's in the baltimore sun that mentions a couple wwd's in the area. Not sure if they are all still active but I'm trying to track them down.

Chimo

Comment

Nice!!!! All these reports of stripers have me rethinking my weekend plans.

Comment

Nice fish. Yesterday turned out to be a good day to be outside.

Regarding WWDs, during the 1980s I worked for MDE in reviewing and issuing discharge permits to all the industries in Maryland. I got to know the characteristics of most the plants discharging in Baltimore Harbor. There is not much in the immediate vicinity of Harbor Hospital ramp. The large Baltimore RESCO trash incinerator is located upstream, near the Rt 95 crossing. As far as I know, it still discharges warm water that results from condensing steam in the plant. The flow and heat output are not nearly as large as a full-scale power plant, but given the shallow and confined water body there, the discharge should make some difference.

The Patapsco wastewater treatment plant discharges on the south side of the harbor but is several miles further out toward the mouth of the harbor. Outside the Key Bridge, you have the co-located power plants (Wagner and Brandon Shores). They have a discharge canal that should be warmer than ambient water but this location is too far to reach by kayak from the Harbor Hospital ramp. There are likely to be other ramps closer to that location.

There used to be several old BG&E power plants in the general area of Harbor Hospital (Gould Street, Westport), but they have been decommissioned.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Chimo - Looks like your fish is well feed too, fit as a fiddle. Do you use a fishfinder? If so, did you see any amount of bait in the area? He was definitely eating something.

I too use a 1/2oz jighead most of the time but I'm generally attaching a 4" BA paddletail to it. (If it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use) If I move up to 6" or larger plastics then I may move up to 3/4oz to 1oz heads, especially if depth, wind, drift and current are an issue.
                      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I am using a fish finder but it is not the most sensitive the way I have it set up. I was marking gizzards and maybe rock but nothing for bait. I need to pick up some paddle tails at somepoint but haven't added them to the collection yet. Good fishin

Chimo

Comment

Nice report. Nice fish.

Tight lines.

Meadeo
                          2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Working...
                          X