Mariner Pt. YP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariner Pt. YP

Launching from Mariner Pt. Park in the am. The plan is to launch by 7am as to catch the bottom half of the dropping tide. But my girlfriend is tagging along so.....

This is the plan: Heavy action rod set up with a bottom rig and worms or cut-bait, medium action rod set up with a jig and soft plastic, light action rod set up with a topwater plug or a crawfish crankbait. I'm not even sure if YP will go for a topwater this early in the year but I feel like I'll be covering all of my bases. Critique is welcome!
    Ascend A10

You should be able to find some cats on the night crawlers and cutbait. There is generally some out there. If you can get minnows, I would bring some and try them with your medium action rod on a standard perch rig out by the trainbridge. There are deeper spots around piling 50 and 15. Im not sure you will have any luck on topwater this time of the year...

I think Yak Fish is more familiar with fishing the area than I am, maybe he'll chime in...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I fish the quarry, not really Mariner Point. I know a way to get back there without starting at the MP launch. There are perch back there, but I did not find them in numbers the two weeks ago when I went. The max water depth is about 15' back there and if you use cut or live bait set on the bottom, sooner or later you'll pull up a catfish. I wouldn't waste your time with top water this time of year.

If I could recommend a perch set up:
      Medium power rod with a fast action tip: Drop shot with 2 grubs tied directly to the main line using a palomar. Use whatever weight allows you to feel bottom and jig lightly looking for just a light nibble...this is where the fast action tip will benefit you. Look for deeper water and some kind of structure.

If you find water in the 10' range, use a grub tipped jig from a bobber and use a slow retrieve like you would if you were crappie fishing. You should catch them there too.

And if you want to go the live bait route, just throw out some minnows or cut bait, but there are a lot of snags so beware.

I'm heading up to the Jean Roberts this morning to look for the YP myself. Good luck and let me know how you do.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

It was way to windy to get any kind of light tackle fishing done! Ended up heading into the "cove" directly across from the boat ramp as I had been told YP are hot there. Was greeted by a bass tracker reeling in keeper after keeper. It looked like they were using small tubes on a perch rig of sorts. I was going to ask but after my gf tangled her line in their trolling motor I figured we should keep our distance.

Skunked but it was a good experience. I used my yak for the first time with it's new rod holders. Got used to the set up. Would love to go out today as the wind has died down but I need to head to work soon. Any skilled fisherman looking for some YP try the cove directly across the boat ramp in mariner point park.
        Attached Files
        Ascend A10

Comment

Hahaha. That sounds like a funny site.
          Thanks for the tip on the cove. I've never been there, but if you go back keep a close eye on your rod tip. A lot of guys don't realize how light the perch takes the lure. If you aren't dead focused on it, you'll miss. I like my perch setup as sensitive as possible. When you get that first one, you'll know what I mean. Good luck next time. Maybe I'll meet up with you next time.

Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

1 - launch
            2 - cove
            3 - YP
            Attached Files
            Ascend A10

Comment

Thanks! This bit of information may help understand what the YP are doing this year in the unseasonably warm weather. Do you happen to remember how deep the water was in that section?

Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I wish I could say for sure. I have yet to mount my FF or even figure out a way to power it. I couldn't even guess. But I thought it was strange how they were being consistently caught for about 2 hours after the tide had already started to rise. I have always been told that the best fishing is on the bottom half of a dropping tide and on the rising tide they tend to head to deeper more open waters.
                Ascend A10

Comment

Best time to fish is when they are biting...barometric pressure, moon phase, water temps, angle of the sunlight, stained water, clear water, low water, high water, etc.....I have heard it all in my 65 (+) years...and guess what? Fish bite when they bite- There is a sign in Buxton, NC Red Drum Tackle Shop..."You should have been here yesterday"...that says it all...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                  X