Columbia, MD Lake - 2/18/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia, MD Lake - 2/18/12

I'm finally on the board for 2012. This is the earliest bass I've ever caught from the coldest water I've ever caught a bass from.

I went to a nearby Columbia, MD Lake today for two hours. Sunny skies. Warm air temps and a slight breeze that turned into a stiff breeze. The water was really cold. I guessed all the fish were on the bottom and deep. I don't have a fish finder yet, but I'm guessing the deepest part of this man made lake is around 12 feet. I caught this 11 inch bass on a piece of shrimp on a drop shot. I was trying to catch a catfish, but was happy for the bass. I was letting the wind blow me around while the drop shot weight dragged along the bottom.

I saw a bunch of people fishing for trout from shore because the DNR stocked the lake a week or two ago. I didn't see anyone catch a fish. The Owner light MUTU circle hook was right in the corner of his mouth. It's good to finally catch something, it's been a while.

Nice catch! That almost looks like a spotted bass. I didnt know we had those around here. Were you fishing on Lake Elkhorn by any chance? I went there this afternoon to see if I could find some trout while taking a walk around the lake with my wife.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yup.

Yup. That's the place. I saw plenty of guys fishing from the bank, and nobody was catching a thing. I was there from 12PM-2PM. The water was still really cold and I was just happy to catch something.

I'm guessing it was a largemouth bass. I'm not sure how you tell them a part from a spotted bass.

Comment

Glad you got your February fish- it was pretty breezy out on the water today
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

That's a nice fat bass. I do most of my bass fishing in the winter fishing the sunny spots, but I haven't caught anything particularly big since moving to Maryland.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

The slighy spottiness above the normal largemouth bar and the markings on the gill plate make me think its a spotted bass, but that could just be the way the picture looks. I must have just missed you, I started by the spillway just after 2.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
            X