Mallow's Bay Ghost Fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallow's Bay Ghost Fleet

I have been looking at different launch spots to try out this year to find my "favorite" southern Maryland fishing spot. Looking at Mallow's Bay there is more structure here than the rest of the Potomac River combined- there are over 230 old wooden and iron steamship graveyard hulks sunk in the bay- Gotta be the best bass and snakehead habitat anywhere. Anyone fish this area?
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-20-2012, 07:27 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Funny you mentioned Mallow's Bay, I was just looking into fishing that area. I haven't been there yet but I'm in when you want to go.

Comment

Mallows Bay looks interesting and definitely fishy. Could be snag central, though.

http://boneinitsteeth.blogspot.com/2...f-potomac.html
      Hobie PA 12

Comment

Originally posted by Aesiegel View Post
        Mallows Bay looks interesting and definitely fishy. Could be snag central, though.

http://boneinitsteeth.blogspot.com/2...f-potomac.html
        230 wrecks- yeah, I'd say it had a few snags- and it is close to the rocky point and big gravel bars where they catch smallmouth bass- I definitely would not use UL tackle there- 30# power pro braid on a really stout drag- big shiner minnows and slip cork setup should be the ticket- a few warm sunny days and that location should be a hot spot for spring fishing-

Comment

Ron -

That sounds intriguing. I would be interested in trying it out some time. Keep us informed.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

When I go it will be in my OK Prowler- not the Outback with the Mirage Drive flippers- too many shallow places to get hung on-

Comment

Like little baby Kipto! LOL How far are the closest launches?

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                230 wrecks- yeah, I'd say it had a few snags- and it is close to the rocky point and big gravel bars where they catch smallmouth bass- I definitely would not use UL tackle there- 30# power pro braid on a really stout drag- big shiner minnows and slip cork setup should be the ticket- a few warm sunny days and that location should be a hot spot for spring fishing-
                We were on the same thought pattern about the slip bobber and the shinners. That is one of my favorite ways to fish. I would be interested in that trip. About where is it located. I should have checked out the video more carefully. It looked like a launch area right near the ships. That must be fishy waters.

Please keep us updated on any trips to this area.

Comment

Here's a link to the Google map of the place. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Mallow...s+Bay&t=h&z=15
                  Zoom in and you can see an orange kayak in the water and a grey one getting ready to launch. There is a small ramp and a pier/kayak launch according to the Charles County parks and
                  rec. page. http://www.charlescounty.org/pf/park...boatlaunch.jsp
                  Hobie PA 12

Comment

I want to wait until the shallow waters warm up a bit with the spring sun- according to one report I read, between wrecks 9 & 10 there is a seven foot deep hole that has produced limits of bass- I don't plan to keep any Bass, just catch and release, but it is fun to catch bigger bass- just like the bigger catfish.

Been reading up on the history and articles of this place- fascinating stuff- the archive pictures of those 30 some odd freighters being set on fire are pretty odd- even for the day, it was massive pollution- one error after another, until they just decided to let Mother Nature take over. Watched a couple of the You Tube videos of Mallow's Bay including the one called "Bone in her teeth"- showing Hobie Adventure and Revo kayaks touring the site- as I suspected might happen- the Mirage Drives hit obstructions during their tour- It looks pretty close to the MD launch site- less than a mile total- so a paddle would be easy to do-
                    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-20-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

The maintenance guy in my complex kayaks, and he told me of this place last year. Looks interesting indeed!!
                      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Wound up there on a Sunday drive/scouting trip last spring and ran into a volunteer caretaker. First, the ships are protected and trespassing isn't allowed. The facilities include a boat ramp and one of those kayak launch rails like at mattawoman along with plenty of parking. He says the main catch is cats, but plenty of large crappie are in the creek in spring. There are LMB and both white and yellow perch and when the water warms the snakehead rules. Gene Mueller had a few posts on his blog last year about catching the big crappies while still in sight of the ramp. Definately looks like a place to try.

Comment

I went there last fall. Definitely an interesting area to paddle around. Just as good...head downriver along the shore....plenty of good fishing...plus several beaches w/ cliffs overlooking for taking a lunch break....and best, while there you can find loads of prehistoric sharks teeth and occasionally other fossils. All in all, it was a good trip...moreso for exploring that fishing...but that was'nt bad either. I caught a pretty big cat and lots of perch. It's worth the drive for a one time outting.

Comment

Definitely an interesting place to explore. Heres a few pics from my last trip there.

2012 FeelFree Moken Angler 12
                            http://www.youtube.com/80grady

Comment

Grady - thanks for the pictures. They are very nice shots.
                              Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                              Cobra Explorer

Comment

Working...
                              X