More Severn River Recon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Severn River Recon

Launched at Jonas Green this morning to a totally flat calm river. No wind to speak of and the sun had things warming up nicely by 09:30. I decided to paddle up river to a small area, Winchester Pond, that you can see from the Rt. 50 Bridge going east bound. The place definitely looks fishy and I did have several strikes and one small pickerel that threw the hook boatside. I fished there about an hour and then headed back down river to a creek that has been a reliable producer the past few weeks. Sure enough, I landed 4 and had many more strikes in the hour that I fished there. Largest was about 15 1/2" . I was trying to find that big one that got away two weeks ago but no luck. Sorry, didn't make the 16" min size for Kayak Wars.

As I left the creek to paddle back to the park, I realized that the weather guessers wind forecast was a least partially correct. Instead of WSW @ 10-20 it was ESE at 15. Right in the face for the paddle home.

Might try to get out tomorrow too if the weather holds out.
    Attached Files
    Hobie PA 12

Originally posted by Aesiegel View Post
    Launched at Jonas Green this morning to a totally flat calm river. No wind to speak of and the sun had things warming up nicely by 09:30. I decided to paddle up river to a small area, Winchester Pond, that you can see from the Rt. 50 Bridge going east bound. The place definitely looks fishy and I did have several strikes and one small pickerel that threw the hook boatside. I fished there about an hour and then headed back down river to a creek that has been a reliable producer the past few weeks. Sure enough, I landed 4 and had many more strikes in the hour that I fished there. Largest was about 15 1/2" . I was trying to find that big one that got away two weeks ago but no luck. Sorry, didn't make the 16" min size for Kayak Wars.

As I left the creek to paddle back to the park, I realized that the weather guessers wind forecast was a least partially correct. Instead of WSW @ 10-20 it was ESE at 15. Right in the face for the paddle home.

Might try to get out tomorrow too if the weather holds out.

Nice work Ed!! I was looking for you floating out there when I drove over the 50 bridge today, but didn't happen to see ya. I sold my PA today so I should have my new one by the end of the weekend and I will be on the water shortly trying to get the KW skunk off my back..

Comment

Matt,
      Congrats on the sale. Time to trick out the new yacht!
      Hobie PA 12

Comment

I'm glad you got some fish in the usual spot. I plan to check out Winchester pond myself. Both you and Ictalurus had minimal success their. I will see if I can tempt them with minnows.

You luck with the wind was similar to mine yesterday -- it seemed that whichever direction I went, the wind was in my face.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice going. I love seeing pickerel. I'm running out of time to catch my first one. Argh!
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

John, I guess the wind could have been worse. At least I didn't have to fish in it.

Chex, I'm going to try Green Haven Wharf tomorrow. Might be some pickerel in Stoney Creek! Come on down.
            Hobie PA 12

Comment

I was surprised Winchester Pond didn't hold more fish in it. At least it wasn't just Kevin and I striking out. I guess pickerel like to have some shallow flats near deeper water, and it seemed like Winchester Pond was mostly just deeper water. I bet there'll be perch there along the dropoffs later in the summer. There are some nice fallen trees in there.

If I wasn't fishing for the competition, I would've tried a jigging blade in there. That occasionally works for pickerel in St. Mary's Lake in the summer.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

i love pics! thanks!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X