Patuxent perchin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patuxent perchin'

Yesterday moc (Martin) asked if anyone could join him at Jug Bay. I carefully checked wind and tidal current and decided to go. Given low tide at 12:30 and a wind blowing in the upstream direction, we elected to launch at Waysons Corner and paddle/pedal downstream to the perch hole. We were able to ride the incoming tide and a pushing breeze back to the ramp at the end of the day.

It took 40 minutes of steady paddling/pedaling to reach the fishing spot. We saw several powerboats and MyTMouse in his kayak already there. We found large schools of perch on the fishfinder. I baited up with minnows and began drifting. Soon I had my first pullage. When I reeled in, I had a mixed perch doubleheader -- one white perch and one yellow perch. We continued drifting in a stout breeze for several hours. I caught about 20 yellows, including the two keepers shown in the photo (the larger one was 11.25"). They headed home with Martin for his dinner. Many other perch were 8.5" (close but not legal).

Martin caught plenty of fish too, with some species variety. He can fill in his details.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice!!!

So much fishin going on while I'm at work... Argh!
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice catching gents.

John, the second picture has a dock and what looks like a possible launch. Any idea what that is?
      Hobie PA 12

Comment

Nice work, gents. I drove over the river today and wished I could've been out there.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

thanks for the write up and pics, i wish i could fish during the week
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aesiegel View Post
            Nice catching gents.

John, the second picture has a dock and what looks like a possible launch. Any idea what that is?
            Ed -

It is the grounds of the Mt. Calvert historic mansion. http://www.pgparks.com/Things_To_Do/...gical_Park.htm

I don't think the pier or beach can be used for public launching.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I think you are welcome to visit if you arrive via boat though. I think its part of some water trail tour...based on the signage in this pic I snapped last year over there. I didnt visit the building, but I did use a tree lol...

When I was out there the last time, I saw a couple row up in their canoe with their dog. They beached there and went up to the building. It would be a great place to take a break from fishing.
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

break from fishing? thats when you do a GS(grilled sardine) and fall asleep on the yak
                sigpic

Comment

Lol!

Comment

Yeah, I was going to launch at Jug Bay, but after getting off of work alittle later than I thought and talking to John about riding the tides, I decided to launch from Wayson Corner. It was a good day of fishing. I ended up with 18 yellow perch, many of which were scrapping 9 inches. That was too close to keep. I also caught two white perch, a Shad, and to my surprise a 12 inch rockfish! I saw Mytie pull in a catfish and some yellows also. One of the boaters that we saw was non other than Walleye Pete. He was getting himself some perch action too.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I keep all those "Shad" as catfish and striper baits, Moc- I caught several in my cast net last year at PLO and froze them in zip loc bags- makes great oily bait- big stripers eat them whole and when it is legal to fish for striper I cut them in half and fish them on a fish finder rig on the edges of channels with a circle hook-
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Just an FYI for anyone planning to launch from Jug Bay. They are still in their winter hours. The park closes at 5pm, but the ramp area closes at 4:30pm. So if you are fishing the afternoon, be mindful of that. In that case, the long haul from Waysons would be the best bet...do like these guys did and try to time the trip around the tides.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                          Just an FYI for anyone planning to launch from Jug Bay. They are still in their winter hours. The park closes at 5pm, but the ramp area closes at 4:30pm. So if you are fishing the afternoon, be mindful of that. In that case, the long haul from Waysons would be the best bet...do like these guys did and try to time the trip around the tides.
                          Yeah, that was another reason that I chose to launch with John at Waysons. I knew that you had to be out of Jug Bay by 5pm when I called the office. I did not know how long that I would fish, so I did not want to be caught. The trip that John and I took was not bad from Waysons if you time it right. 40 mins...very doable. It was great fishing with John, and MyT. I got a kick of running into Walleye Pete, who I have fished with many times on his charters. The one fish that I thought was a shad, could be a menhadden... not sure. Maybe someone can confirm from the picture. Regardless, four species today....my Feb fish are on!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice report and it looks like you guys picked a great day.

Moc, I think your shad was a gizzard shad. A delicacy if you're a catfish. See here: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/spec...8/Default.aspx

Congrats on the February fish. I haven't been on a yak in months, so my monthly fish quota has all come in the form of Tautog caught standing at the rail of the Morning Star.

Comment

Nice work guys! Looks like you all got a nice mix of fish.

Be careful with keeping "shad" unless you know for sure that it is a gizzard shad, as there is a closed season for the american and hickory shad as well as herring this year. I kind of doubt that a gizzard shad would bite a minnow unless it was actually snagged, but then again they are pretty easy to accidentally snag at times. The giveaway trait that will tell you it is a gizzard shad is the long hair like filament that comes off of the last ray of the dorsal fin.
                              http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwBA&dur=2141
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X