Spaz attack at Allen's Fresh, 2/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spaz attack at Allen's Fresh, 2/23

After my trout fishing excursion, I decided to make a quick run to Allen's Fresh. Since the pickerel fishing has been so hot on the Severn, I thought the same might be true at Allen's Fresh because I had caught some really nice ones there 3 or 4 years ago. I only had about 2 hours of daylight left, so I was hoping I could find pickerel quickly where I had caught them in the past, especially since it was high tide and the areas with grasses were flooded, and maybe scare up a perch or two.

Spaz attack number 1:

I've been launching by the bridge farthest from Rt 301. That was the bridge that washed out in the hurricane, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The area around the bridge is more gravelly there, which isn't optimal for dragging your yak, and there's a silt fence to lift the yak over, which is kind of a hassle, too. I slid my yak down the bank into the water, which was rather muddy, and started to step into the water to get into my boat. I stepped off the bank into the water, and my foot never hit bottom. At about this time, a little voice in my head said, "Hey dummy, the bridge washed out, so of course the bank is going to be steeper." The next thing I felt was my vest jerking me up as I fell into the water. Since it was so warm, I cleverly opted not to wear my dry top. Despite not wearing it, I didn't fill my waders, and only my elbows were wet. However, I had one hand on my yak, one hand on shore, no feet on the bottom, and the water incredibly close to the top of my waders. I had a change of clothes and wasn’t particularly worried about getting wet, but I really didn’t want to have driven all the way out there only to fall in the water like an idiot. I didn’t think I could climb into my yak without scooping up a bunch of water, and I didn’t have enough leverage to climb back on shore, either. I managed to gently scoot my yak forward and shift my land hand forward little by little until my toes hit the bottom, then I tippy-toed like a ballerina to water shallow enough to jump into my yak. That’s when I noticed the shore fisherman who had witnessed the entire thing.

There weren’t many people out, which surprised me. I headed to my spot. There was a guy fishing with minnows on the opposite shore, and I saw him pick up a keeper perch. He said hit had been slow for him today. I casted around with my firetiger Rapala, my firetiger Storm Shad, and my chartreuse Cicada. I missed a couple hits on the Cicada, but I connected with a yellow perch on the Storm Shad. It hit very gently like I snagged a piece of grass, so I didn’t set the hook hard. Then it started circling and spit the hook as I lifted it out of the water at the boat. It looked to be between 9 and 10 inches but didn’t have the swollen belly of a ripe female. I missed few more hits on the Cicada, and that was all the fish action for me. At least I wasn’t skunked.

I met master_pungo and chatted with him for a bit. He had more luck than I did and even managed to pick up a perch as we talked. The sun was started to set, so we both headed back to our respective launches.

Spaz attack number 2:

I had a better plan for getting out of my yak now that I knew the score with the bank. I climbed out on the bank and started working my yak back around to where I could pull it out of the water. As I reached down to grab the handle, something slid down my finger and into the water. My wedding ring. My heart sank as I frantically looked in the water trying to spot it while cursing up a storm. I took off my hat and shades as I prepared to stick my head in the water when I heard a couple more plops. Rocks were falling off the bank into the water. Then I remembered that I had taken off my ring before I launched and zipped it in my pocket where it was still safely secured. I sat down on the bank with a sigh of relief when I heard a different guy on the other shore ask me if I caught anything.

Anyway, it seems like the perch of moved upstream a bit from The Cedars and were biting artificials and minnows. I didn’t try too hard for perch, but I think using a bobber or drop shot rig would work pretty well and would keep the lure in the strike zone longer than casting and retrieving. I'd like to go back and work the area more thoroughly for both perch and pickerel. I enjoyed meeting master_pungo and hearing about his experiences fishing some of the other areas I frequent. It was a good evening to be on the water despite not being quite as relaxing as I had hoped. Here are a couple pics from the evening:

One of my favorite SoMD vistas:

Closer up:
    Last edited by ictalurus; 02-24-2012, 11:02 AM.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Thanks for sharing your spaz attacks. I'm glad that both events turned out to be insignificant in the end.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Hahaha.... only funny because it ended well. Lucky you had waders on.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

oops.........forgot to mention the erosion/deepwater by the bank issue when we chatted about Allen's fresh the other day..my bad. great pics. You always seem to find smooth water when I'm not along!

any trout???
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

LOL forget getting wet, DONT loose the wedding ring or you wont hear the end of it for a very long time

Comment

Mike and John--I figured that if I can't be a good role model, at least I can serve as a warning to others.

Kevin--the trout were hungry at Calvert Cliffs. I picked up another limit this morning before work to share with my buddies at the office. White Rooster Tails were the preferred lure.

Sam--you're not kidding. The missus got real quiet when I told that part of the story.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
              LOL forget getting wet, DONT loose the wedding ring or you wont hear the end of it for a very long time
              On my third wedding band...they get used to it after awhile.
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

LOL im glad i have fat knuckles, my wife knows how to filet fish

Comment

That happened to me off a concrete boat ramp. There was a deep crevice about 2-3 feet from water's edge. As I pushed my yak into the water, my foot went straight down into the jagged crevice. It sure hurt my shin.

Did you get the trout near the Calvert Cliffs power plant? If so, where did you launch from?
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                  X