C&R @ the BB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C&R @ the BB

I launched from Sandy Point around 11am today. Nice day, pretty calm out there. There were 2-4 boats, including Shawn Kimbro's Thunder Road, which was awesome because this was my fist attempt at using the techniques he teaches in his book. I went over and thanked him for the book and then proceeded to watch his every move.

I ended up with 3 stripers, almost 4 (he got off). I didn't measure them, but I estimate they were 16" 18" and maaaaybe 20" All in all I saw a good 15-20 fish caught, all under 24" and most toward the smaller end of the scale. All of mine were caught on a hotrodded 6" BKD, between the eastern rock pile and the second bridge. Fun day. No yakers except me... where were you all???

Shawn was nice enough to send me 2 of the pics below.

Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

That's pretty awesome that you fished right next to Shawn Kimbro!

Congrats on the fish.
    Sun Fishin'

Comment

Was at the Bass Pro Shop MKF table in Arundel Mills Mall- and it was fun meeting Daddy G, Stupid Jet, Medicyaker and some other forum folks, named Mike and Mike- I forgot their forum monickers...but we talked to a lot of folks about kayak fishing, rigging and fishing techniques we use kayak fishing.

Glad to see you caught some fish and were able to get out- I am currently planning my next fishing trip but we shall see how the weather and water conditions shape up for next weekend- I know you can catch stripers in most of the places I normally fish for them but it is all C&R right now so I think I'll wait a bit until trophy season kicks in- I normally release 90% of my fish any way so I might just striper fish to get pullage or maybe not- haven't thought it out that much yet
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'm glad you got out today. I have not heard much about kayak anglers fishing the bay bridge in the winter.

I've know Shawn since he moved to Maryland but have never fished on his boat or even seen him on the water. You did a good job in front of the professor.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That's some good winter pullage. Did you learn anything new by watching the master in action?
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I fished with him a couple times, buddy boating together. He is an awesome guy and really nice. Its cool you got to get out, and on top of that meet him.
            Keith
            2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Who?

Shawn Kimbro?

I'm new to this striper stuff.

Comment

Check this out... http://www.chesapeakelighttackle.com/

he talks about good techniques for rock that work!
                Keith
                2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                  Shawn Kimbro?

I'm new to this striper stuff.
                  Shawn is the King of Light Tackle Jigging ..........

Comment

Good to see you got out there a caught some fish. I just met Shawn Kimbro as well, on Saturday at the Saltwater fishing expo. Picked up his book and chatted for a bit. Couldn't stay for his seminar, but did get his autograph

Comment

Nice catchin' and a bonus celebrity meeting!
                      Hobie PA 12

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        I'm glad you got out today. I have not heard much about kayak anglers fishing the bay bridge in the winter.

I've know Shawn since he moved to Maryland but have never fished on his boat or even seen him on the water. You did a good job in front of the professor.
                        I was catching big Kittie Kats on the Potomac.

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                          Did you learn anything new by watching the master in action?
                          Yeah... most importantly, where the fish were... I had been there about 15 minutes before he arrived, and hadn't caught a thing. He started catching fish within a few minutes, so I started following his drift and started catching them too.

Also, I was surprised at how fast his rod jerk is. A speedy twitch, and then a quick reel or two to tighten the slack and then slowly follow the jig back down to the bottom by lowering the rod. It's pretty much what he describes in the book, but was helpful to see it in action.

Every boat that was there was using 6" hotrodded BKDs and jigging with the same technique. SK probably didn't invent the technique, but he sure has popularized it.
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                            Yeah... most importantly, where the fish were... I had been there about 15 minutes before he arrived, and hadn't caught a thing. He started catching fish within a few minutes, so I started following his drift and started catching them too.

Also, I was surprised at how fast his rod jerk is. A speedy twitch, and then a quick reel or two to tighten the slack and then slowly follow the jig back down to the bottom by lowering the rod. It's pretty much what he describes in the book, but was helpful to see it in action.

Every boat that was there was using 6" hotrodded BKDs and jigging with the same technique. SK probably didn't invent the technique, but he sure has popularized it.
                            Could you post a picture of what the 6" hotrodded BKDs look like on your rod?

Comment

Pretty awesome fishing next to Shawn Kimbro and catching fish too! I've heard of hot-rodding BKDs, but have never done it myself. What do you use for hot-rodding?
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X