Patapsco @ Daniels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patapsco @ Daniels

If I wanted to kayak fish the Patapsco upstream of Daniels dam, where's a good place to park my truck and put in ?

I've never fished that river and haven't really been able to dig up much about that part of it on the forums / youtube / google maps

thanks

You can launch about 1/4 mile upstream. If you are headed towards the dam there is a pull off on the left side of the road. There is a guardrail there. Back up to guardrail and off load kayak and less than 20yds to the water. Have kayaked there but not fished. Pretty decent paddle. Some shallow areas and some underwater boulders as well. Just pay attention.

Good luck.
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Daniels Info

I fished Daniels twice from my kayak in 2011. You can park right near the dam and launch easily. There is a small creek that enters the river right by the parking lot and launch from there.

It's a long 2 or 3 mile paddle up river to get to good smallie habitat. I was unable to catch any fish in the deep pool area and I didn't even see any signs of fish or minnows there in the summer and fall.

On the way up stream you are going to run into a couple of sections that are VERY shallow. The hurricane that hit last year deposited a bunch of sediment and it's really hard to paddle up some sections. I'm talking it's like 1 foot deep and less.

If you paddle far enough up you'll eventually encounter good smallie habitat. I've caught smallies, rock bass, and sunfish around there. Patapsco smallies are tiny in general so if you catch one greater than 12 inches it's a nice fish.

I believe they stock trout below the dam, but I've never kayaked down that section.

Let us know how you do.

Comment

I've launched at Woodstock Road and floated down and took out at Daniels Dam. That's about a 3 mile float. Fairly easy float but do keep an eye out for trees that have fallen across the river... called "strainers".
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I float from Woodstock and the state park further upstream down to the Daniels area pretty frequently. The best fishing for me is just past the Woodstock put in for smallies and then 2-3 mils before daniels for everything else. I have had a few 3lb largemouth there, countless smallies and sunnies as well as some nice trout. If you ever want to get a float group together let me know. Its a easy trip as long as the water is up high enough

Comment

As it gets a little warmer, I'd be game. I always enjoy fishing as a group rather than by myself.

Comment

You need to keep in mind that small creeks/rivers the size of the Patapsco are sometimes hard to fish and float at the same time without spooking the fish before your first cast. When in my canoe I let my feet hang over both sides and sorta walk my canoe along the shallowest side and then cast to deeper water. If I see a really good looking piece of water coming up then I'll beach the boat and fish from shore.
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Yes, I often make use of the sandbar like areas and other slow spots to stop in and work an area. It is very slow water in most of it, but the good areas need a quick stop to really get like you said.

Comment

Too Small

In my opinion that area of the Patapsco is too small for a group float.

Comment

Any suggestions for better fresh / brackish areas around Baltimore that would work better for a group outing ? I've heard people talk about the Patapsco ponds on here but I don't know where that is and where it would be safe to park / launch.

Comment

Just did it last Sunday. Cold, windy, and no fish.

However, it was a heck of a lot of fun. I paddled up river for about 2 miles in my 9.5 sit inside. I hit the low areas and got to 3" on the shallow side of the river. Glad I wasn't in the hobbie. Tried flies,salmon eggs, grub worms, and soft baits--nothing.

Great place to park above the dam. One guy said a person caught a 19" trout below the dam the week prior. Ain't it always the day before or the week before! Enjoy the trip. Only wimps do the float!

Comment

They stocked the trout below the dam recently. The smallies dont show up for another month or so above the dam, but once they do it is a blast. I will keep an eye and post when I see them and maybe get a group together if you all want.

Comment

Working...
                        X