Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really interesting day on St. Mary's Lake, 3/3

Here's the most interesting part:

BAM!! It was a blast fighting it with my ultralight. I actually felt the water rush transferred through the rod before it slammed the lure. It almost yanked the rod out of my hand. Based on the way it fought, I thought it was going to be a really nice pickerel.

At 17", this bass was almost 50% longer than the biggest bass I've ever caught in St. Mary's Lake. I've heard that there were 3-5lb bass in SML, but I could never prove it. I was starting to think either that I was the worst bass fisherman in the county or everyone else was yanking my chain. I felt better when I read on DNR's website that 23% of the bass in SML were between 11 and 15 inches, and only 4% were greater than 15 inches. Here is the 4% (same fish):

I even chose a new hat to wear today to amuse Bob (Capt C-Hawk). Maybe I should wear that hat more often.

I caught 3 (maybe 4) species all on the same lure today, which was my trusty St. Mary's Special (small firetiger Rapala). I caught the big bass in less than 2ft of water. I also caught a 7" sunfish (bluegill?) nearby:

The sunfish seemed to have hit the rear hook, which was funny. There was no way the lure was going to fit in its mouth even if it was a real minnow.

I caught 6 or 7 smaller bass in the 10-12 inch range (not worth photographing compared to the first bass). I caught one of the bass in only 8-10 inches of water and got to see it hit the lure, which was pretty cool. One of the small bass I caught a small pickerel and sunfish in its mouth:

What's really interesting is how small the pickerel and sunfish that were in the bass's mouth. I think they were too big to have been spawned this year (water temp was 53-54* based on my sonar at the end of the day), but those fish would be really small if they were spawned last year. I should've grabbed them to pull out their otoliths, but it seemed mean to swipe the bass's dinner in addition to yanking it out of the water.

Another interesting thing about today was that the tooth patches on all the bass I caught were all bright red. I wonder what that was about?

After I caught the small bass in the super shallow water, I cast the Rapala again, only I put it closer to the branches of a fallen tree. A 16" pickerel came screaming out from under the tree and slammed the lure. That was awesome to see. It was probably the 2nd or 3rd largest pickerel I've caught at SML. I wonder if there's a forage issue if neither the bass nor the pickerel get very big? Most of the pickerel I've caught are much skinnier than the same sized fish in the Severn.

I picked up another bluegill in the same area, and it seemed to have hit the rear hook like last time.

I had another pickerel T-bone the Rapala right between the hook right at the boat, but I just pulled the lure out of its mouth when I set the hook.

The main purpose of my trip was to catch crappie using a drop-shot perch rig. There's lots of standing timber and fallen trees, but I didn't have any luck. I even added some PowerBait Crappie Nibbles to the jigs, but I didn't have any hits. I casted a single grub around, but that didn't help. Part of the problem was that the water was really muddy, and I was using chartreuse grubs, which probably wasn't the best choice. I left all my dark grubs in the car and was too lazy to go get them. I didn't see many marks around the standing timber, which was unusual. I wonder where the crappie were?

The last interesting thing for the day was that the moss was flowering:

I ended up fishing from about 11 to 3. It turned out to be a really good day at the lake despite the water being high and muddy. It was definitely more interesting than sitting around the house doing chores.
    Last edited by ictalurus; 03-03-2012, 09:57 PM.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

What a day, thanks for sharing. Like the new "Lucky Hat". but after 2 trips I'm already starting to miss the old stand-by.

Comment

Good work on the bass. Is it a citation?

Nice pics, day and report. Thanks
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Good trip Bill. I have never seen a young juvenile pickerel like the one you showed. Very nice.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Top predator like a pike gets eaten by bass- go figure- nice work, Bill- makes me sorry I didn't join you when I called- but there is always tomorrow- at least we hope so-

I like your composure on the photos- really nice-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Sweet fish and pics!
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice fish. Those short rapalas sure catch a wide variety of fish....that's the lure I hooked that monster bluefish on in Aug., remember? And several Rocks. If fish are feeding on small bait they are a killer.
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks, gents.

Bob--Don't worry, the safety pimp hat will be back in the summer.

Ron--You should've joined me. I'd like to fish the lake with someone with good bass mojo. Joey (golfinjoe24) is one of the few that has caught nice bass there regularly. We went out in the late spring a few years ago so he could show me the ropes. I caught some nicer pickerel (for that lake) and he might've gotten skunked or caught only small ones. My skunk vector effect (spreading a skunk to those around me) kicked in again on that trip.

Efren--As bass go, that one isn't all that big, but it was one of the nicer bass I've caught. Matt has caught some real hawgs out of his community lake. Anyway, LMB have to be 21" in Maryland. Based on the size of that fish's head, it probably should've been 20 or 21 inches long. Too bad citations aren't given for head length.

John--That was the smallest pickerel I've ever seen. It's interesting that the color pattern is different compared to the larger fish. One thing I read said pickerel can spawn at 47*, so I guess that fish was spawned this year. That's pretty fast growth, I think.

Kevin--That Rapala was the best $2 impulse buy I've ever made. It was on the discount rack at a Kmart in Newport News or Williamsburg, and I thought, "Hey, Rapalas are supposed to catch fish." Prior to buying this one, I had only caught a few fish on Rapalas.
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Bill- one thing I have noticed is that using small minnow like lures on 4# test (ultra light spinning tackle) always catches fish- ALWAYS- not once in a while, not occasionally but always...makes me wonder why I don't fish that exclusively...and it seems the largest fish jumps on the lightest outfit- I bought a tiny Rapala XRap ($9) in olive (Bunker color) to fish with on my newest UL outfit I put together this winter and plan to try it out today after I catch my limit of 5 trout on the Roostertail spinners- I tied up two crappie setups last night using Cajun red mono and 1/32 oz jigheads- I plan on stopping by Freds Sports in Waldorf this morning and picking up a couple of dozen minnows- on both crappie rigs at least one jighead is bare so I tip those with live minnows- I dipped the jigheads in paint yesterday so they are bright and shiny today- one in white, one in chartreuse, one in blaze orange- I have three on each crappie rig so I should be able to get the crappie's attention-

Good luck to all who fish today- the WNW wind is blowing and the temps are down so dress warm and be safe-
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Great report Bill.

Those small rapalas are my go to fish finding lure in pods and lakes. They always catch the interest of something. The sunfish always favor the rear of that bait for some reason. Its amazing how they manage to get all three points on the treble hook in there little mouths which makes getting the hook out a process in itself.

When i used to wade fish the Potomac above chain bridge i would replace the rear treble with a small size 4 or 6 single hook with a small 1 inch grub. The smallmouths and sunfish didn't seem to mind and it was much easier to remove the smaller fish.

Comment

Cool fishing.

Nice fishing trip and neat catching multiple species. That big bass looks like it has lipstick on!!!

So is that a floating rapala minnow or a small x-rap?

I've never had much luck on x-raps except for a few big crappies and one random musky on the Potomac. (Olive color).

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                        Nice fishing trip and neat catching multiple species. So is that a floating rapala minnow or a small x-rap?

It's the floating minnow. I'm not sure about the model size, but it's either 2" or 2.75" long. I replaced the trebles with single hooks, which seemed to exaggerate the action a bit.

Mike--the little grub on the tail is a good tip. I'll have to try that out.
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                        X