Bush River 3/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush River 3/6

Planning on launching from my house at ~7:30am and hitting a few of my favorite perch spots upriver. Been spending all my free time trying to perfect my jigging technique. So I'm excited to see if it catches any bass up there. LMK if you want to join.
    Ascend A10

Launched early and was greeted by a very slight breeze and water as smooth as glass. hooked my first fish using my now applicable jigging technique. spit the hook so i chased him down for another 2 heartbreaking spit hooks. i must not be setting the hook right. next time
    Ascend A10

Comment

I've found that it's difficult to set the hook if the fish hits at the beginning of the drop, i.e. when your rod tip is the highest. Having super sharp hooks helps. It's also possible you might have foul hooked the fish and the hook pulled out during the fight. I'm a little slow on the draw, so I'll miss the initial strike and set the hook after the fish has already spit it out, which results in foul hooking the outer jaw or belly.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Oh well. It was really cool to get some action jigging. I had spent the past week practicingmy technique. Glad it paid off at least a little.
        Ascend A10

Comment

Originally posted by Splitscreen View Post
          Oh well. It was really cool to get some action jigging. I had spent the past week practicingmy technique. Glad it paid off at least a little.
          how did you practice, cause i need some jigging practice too

Comment

I just went out back and stood on the pier. Tried to get a good feel for it.
            Ascend A10

Comment

I love jigging WP.

When I go out on my power boat and I'm jigging on some knolls & shoals for rockfish and I start hooking WP, spot, croakers and dink rock, I find I can hook them all day long with very little movement of the jigs.

Especially with a shell bottom.

I usually cast out and let the jig fall down and back toward the boat while keeping tension to feel any strikes while dropping. Once I feel it on the bottom I'll jig & retrieve slowly bouncing the bottom and occasionally stop till i feel bottom again and then small twitches.

When theres lots of fish there its non stop action. I fish with my GF and she's usually using bloodworms or night crawlers. Re-baiting the hook every couple fish got to be a PITA so now she uses artificials as well. We hardly ever bye bait anymore unless we anchor up for some chumming.

When i know they are there I'll also just drop the lure straight down off the back of the boat and verticle jig the bottom also with very little movements.

The bite is usually so subtle I dont feel the hits from smaller fish with larger movements. But I'm not usually looking for small fish but when thats all I find, I get some enjoyment out of bailing dinks one after another.

Its kinda cool catching small fish with a 2 oz gold stingsilver .... lol. I also use a 1-2 oz crippled herring alot. both those lures have caught 90% of what I catch and alot of variety as well.
              Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 03-09-2012, 12:30 AM.
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
              X