Wheatley Lake, 3/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheatley Lake, 3/4

I hit Wheatley Lake on Sunday with Kevin (kevinfry) and Ron (ronaultmtd) in search of trout and crappie. We hit the water around 10am and fish until about 3. The water temperature according to my sonar was just under 50* for most of the day.

I had another really good day of fishing. I probably caught almost 3 dozen bass, but they were all in the 9-12 inch range:

Compared to the little bass I caught at St. Mary's Lake, these fish seemed a little stockier. Also, only about 50% of them had the bright red tooth patches compared to all the fish I caught at SML.

I also managed to scare up some trout. I hooked about 10 but only landed 4. I lost two or three at the boat, and a couple threw the lure after some big jumps.

I also landed a crappie that was about 9 inches, or so (but mostly tail after looking at the photo now):

We had to move around a lot to find the fish, so I didn't get many pictures of Ron's and Kevin's fish. Here's Ron with a crappie:

One of Kevin's trout:

Here are a couple other shots:

Kevin paddling:

Ron's yak (it looks like a pirate ship to me from this angle for some reason):

Kevin working the long rod:

It was another day of good fishing and camaraderie. Fire tiger was the color of choice for me today. I caught most of my fish on a fire tiger Rooster Tail, but I also caught some fish on my trusty fire tiger Rapala. The little bass were so thick that they were almost a nuisance since I was really looking for trout. The Rapala produced a better trout to bass ratio, and this was the first time I caught trout on a lure besides a spinner or fly.

We tried a new recipe for the trout: Bacon wrapped fillets with a lemon relish. Here's a pic before the relish went on (which didn't photograph so well):

I usually cook trout whole, so I did a terrible job filleting them. I think they probably weren't cold enough, but there were a lot of little bones that I don't remember dealing with when I eat them whole. I tried butterflying one of the fish, which was a complete disaster. Does anyone have any tips for filleting trout?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Yummy!!!

Comment

Thanks for the pics!!! Looks warmer in photos
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Bill- Like Kevin says- you can't see the 25 mph cold NW wind blowing in these pictures- The wind made it difficult to stay in any one place to cast- our drifts were too fast as the fish was in the shallows- we caught dozens of bass in less than two feet of water up within 5 feet of the shoreline- 90% of mine were caught on a gold 1/16 oz Mepps #3 undressed with the trebles bare of any hair but with the red plastic- on my 4 lb. test UL spinning outfit- If the wind was less we would have absolutely killed them! As it was it was my best ever Bass catch in one day and not too shabby on rainbow trout and crappie- Thanks to Kevin and you for sharing a great day on the water- looking forward to our next trip-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Fine job guys. Bill, you switched back to the old hat and still caught fish. You are on a roll!
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Matt said it all with one word....They sure look good.
            Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
            Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
            X