croaker season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• croaker season

hello all...i have not been on here or a while now so i figured i should post something. so usually every year i begin to catch 10-20inch stripers in the south river in early April with bloodworms. and late april all the way through to early June i catch croakers off my pier. but many people do not think there is croakers in late April even though late April and early may is the best time in the south river. so i tied up about a dozen bottom rigs and tied them on 4 of my spinning rods and then one bait caster (Calcutta). i will be using blood worms bottom and fish bites top,so be expecting a report soon.

-Andrew

Yeah, let us know. With the somewhat warm weather we're having, maybe the croakers will come in sooner than usual. I hope so. I haven't had fried croaker fillets since last Fall.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
      hello all...i have not been on here or a while now so i figured i should post something. so usually every year i begin to catch 10-20inch stripers in the south river in early April with bloodworms. and late april all the way through to early June i catch croakers off my pier. but many people do not think there is croakers in late April even though late April and early may is the best time in the south river. so i tied up about a dozen bottom rigs and tied them on 4 of my spinning rods and then one bait caster (Calcutta). i will be using blood worms bottom and fish bites top,so be expecting a report soon.

-Andrew
      I don't catch them on the mid-bay bars (Tolleys, Hacketts, Thomas Pt, etc) until mid-June. If you are finding them in April, that is great. Let us know when you find them.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I'm just glad your still in school, so there are some fish left for the rest of us to catch.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
          I'm just glad your still in school, so there are some fish left for the rest of us to catch.
          Yeah, I hope school doesn't get out till mid June...I am taking vacation the second week.
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Keep your eyes and ears open. Last year MetroMan and myself caught some nice croaker at North Beach in April last year. We heard of them being caught and thought it was definately too early especially up this far in the bay. We had nothing to do so we decided to try our hand at the pier where they "said" they were being caught. As we walked up on the pier a croaker was coming over the rail during daylight. As we waited for the sun to drop sure enough our rods were slamming with nice croaker. The following week we took the kayaks out of Chesapeake Beach and headed towards North Beach where we slayed them again. First time since Ive been fishing Ive seen nice numbers of Croaker this far up that early. MetroMan posted our report on here if you all would like to look it up. Definately a possibility of early croaker as this winter was much milder than last.

Comment

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthread.php?t=1027

Comment

My parents live 5 min from Chesapeake Beach, Definitely keep us informed. I will go home in a heartbeat for some croaker action.
                -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
                -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Ha, I almost forgot all about that trip! It won't be much longer with this mild winter...
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

i have never tried fishing for them in march but i looked at the info of the picture i took last year and first one caught was april 3rd and i got 31 on april 3rd so it was great,and none were smaller than 10.most in the 10-12 range but the biggest was 14.5,i checked my log

Comment

I have also caught horse croakers in April at the Choptank River peir many years ago. With the warm winter, who knows how this year will shape up.

Comment

Working...
                      X