3/17/2012 Sandy Point Surf Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/17/2012 Sandy Point Surf Fishing

I got to accompany John, a.k.a. Surf Dog, to go surf fishing for rockfish from Sandy Point State Park. This was the first time that I had ever surf fished from Sandy Point in hopes of catching a big rockfish from the ocean during their migration up the Bay. I met John at the WaWa on Route 50 at 5:00am. We went over to Anglers to buy some bloodworms from their fishing vending machine. The quality of the bloodworms was pretty good @ $10.49 for a pack. We then drove over to Sandy Point and followed the signs for small craft launch. The entrance fee into the park was $3.00 or $4.00 I believe per vehicle. The park is open 24 hours for fishermen.

Both John and I was armed with two surf rods each and bloodworms for bait. We walked our gear in the dark over to the beach shoreline where we prepared our rods. John used only bottom fishing rigs with spinners on each hook. I just had plain bottom rig. We used number 3/0 circle hooks. John advised me to bait each hook with 1/2 a bloodworm. I experimented with a fish finder rig on my second rod.

It was dark out there with only our headlamps to illuminate our way. The water was clear and calm. The temperature was 49 degrees when I left home, but it should increase into the 70's. Low tide at Sandy Point was at 8:20am and High tide would be at 2:20pm. In the dark John tipped his rods with little blue battery powered lights. While looking at his rod, I noticed one started to jump. John grabbed his rod and pulled in a 16 inch rockfish. Just before daylight he got another bite. It was an 18 to 20 inch rock. We did not measure them, and the last one jumped out of John's hands. He said the next time he will use the fish lip grippers.. That would be all the catching that we would get for the rest of the morning. I did not even get a nibble. Mike a.k.a. Grady Black, met us on the beach and did a little surf fishing. He too came up empty and left after 90 minutes.

I did see two other 35 inch fish being pulled in on bloodworm from another angler just north of where we were fishing. That was a highlight for me. The wind was nonexistent in the morning, but a cool breeze of 5 to 15 mph started to come in around 9:00am. Grady left and I was not far behind. I left at 11:15am. It was a beautiful morning. I wish I had the kayak out instead with that flat water on the Bay.
    Attached Files

good fish, is there ever BIG fish caught off sandy point state park from the beach. what bait to people use the besides bloodworms?

Comment

Yes, during this time of year good size fish are possible off the beach there. A 39 incher was caught a few days ago. This time of year, bloodworm is the ticket...
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Is it possible to fish from spsp with regular 7' MH spinning gear or do you need a surf rod? I've always thought about it but never actually did it. Anyways, thanks for sharing you story and glad somebody caught some...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
          Is it possible to fish from spsp with regular 7' MH spinning gear or do you need a surf rod? I've always thought about it but never actually did it. .
          A lot of times there, distance matters. I've probably fished there more than I have from my kayak. Every now and them you get action in close, but more times than not, a 7 footer won't physically be able to get your bait in the active areas. if you fish from the jetty, your 7 footer would do just fine though.
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Sounds like fun! I saw a bunch of guys on the beach today. I caught a 22" rock right in front of where they were fishing (but out of their casting range of course). Definitely some fish out there now. Heavy ones.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

i've seen pics of the big ones off the beach every year, on bloodworms. yet it seems like no one talks about BW's for rock.

Comment

So I guess if you have a kayak it would be pointless to fish the area of the bay where you would normally fish from the surf. You would just go straight to the bridge and pylons where it would normally hold more fish.

Anyways I've been catching freshwater species for the past month but I am cravin for the pull from a decent sized rock on light tackle(kayak) or surf gear.

Thanks for the updates and reports.
                Hobie Outback
                WS Tarpon
                IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Working...
                X