3/18/12 south river

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/18/12 south river

today i went to anglers and told them what i have been fishing with and they told me fishbites doesnt work in cold water and so they told me that alwives would works,and as for perch they said shad dart with a 1 inch gulp minnow. so i got home and threw out 3 rods with bottom rigs and alwives and then one rod with a bobber and a minnow. then i fished the pilings of my pier with the gulp. i fished for 5 hours and got not one hit. nothing. i dont know what im doing wrong

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
    today i went to anglers and told them what i have been fishing with and they told me fishbites doesnt work in cold water and so they told me that alwives would works,and as for perch they said shad dart with a 1 inch gulp minnow. so i got home and threw out 3 rods with bottom rigs and alwives and then one rod with a bobber and a minnow. then i fished the pilings of my pier with the gulp. i fished for 5 hours and got not one hit. nothing. i dont know what im doing wrong
    I can't say much about the other baits. I do agree with Anglers that Fishbites do not work well until the water temperature is much warmer. Based on several years of trial and error from bottom fishing at Hacketts and Tolleys bars, I won't even bother trying Fishbites until June 1 at the earliest. By June 15, they work very well. They work by slowly dissolving into the water. The water needs to reach a critical temperature threshold before the dissolving releases a large enough "chum cloud".

It is conceivable that the fish you are trying to catch have not yet moved into the waters within casting range of your pier. Don't give up yet -- keep trying every few days and before you know it the fish will show up. Then make a record of the date and water temperature so you know when to look for them next year.

I have insufficient experience with Gulp baits to make any guesses about how the water temperature affects their performance.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

i use the info option on my hone to findout what date i caught a fish, when i take a picture my phone tells me what day i took it

Comment

Fishbites makes a cold water formula. But I'm not much for FB any ways. Bloodworms catch pretty much anything. If your getting bites but no fish reduce hook size but keep the stripers in mind.
        -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
        -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

i usually like beetlspin best for the wp, 1/4 oz (i think) chrome/blue ratltrap next, but i think this time of year - bloodworms!

Comment

I was told water needs to be 70 degrees for fish bites.

Just pick up a big rock or board in your yard and grab a worm, put it on a hook under a bobber or rig up a bottom rig. Or just cast some small spinner baits. i love the rooster tails or mepps spinners.
            If fish are there you'll get some pullage.
            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
            X