No announcement yet.

Mattawoman Creek, Sunday 3/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like Bill I ended up with 7 species today! Took 5 crappies 10-13.5 inches long home with a bunch of throw backs, landed 20+ cats ( blues and channels, caught a few bullheads, a yellow perch, some bluegills and a few bass but nothing big. Highlight was catching a 28.5 inch blue on my ultralight outfit while fishing for crappies, he kept the rod doubled over a for a couple minutes I'll add some pictures later. Good fishin with you guys!

Chimo

Comment

what were you guys useing to catch that many species?
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

Nice work guys. I hope I can tag along some time to try for some species I don't normally catch.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I used chicken livers for the cats. I did not have much luck with the cut bunker. For the crappie, bass and bluegill, I was shocked that I caught these three species with a 1/16 th ounce metal jighead tipped with a tiny curly tail.
          Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations on the banner day at Mattawoman guys! +1 on Matt's comment, I have Mattawomen on my radar for saturday... Do you guys just slowly jig the small lures along for the crappie or do you use a slip float? Were the cats all caught on the bottom?
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

For me, slow retrieval for the jig and the cats were caught on the bottom with a fishfinder rig tipped with chicken liver on a 3/0 circle hook and a number 1 snell hook. I kept missing some fish with the larger number 3/0 hook. I know Wayne missed a bunch and he was using 4/0 I think.
              Last edited by moc; 03-19-2012, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                Like Bill I ended up with 7 species today! Took 5 crappies 10-13.5 inches long home with a bunch of throw backs, landed 20+ cats ( blues and channels, caught a few bullheads, a yellow perch, some bluegills and a few bass but nothing big. Highlight was catching a 28.5 inch blue on my ultralight outfit while fishing for crappies, he kept the rod doubled over a for a couple minutes I'll add some pictures later. Good fishin with you guys!

Chimo
                Nice Wayne!!!, that's a lot of KW points.

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                  Congratulations on the banner day at Mattawoman guys! +1 on Matt's comment, I have Mattawomen on my radar for saturday... Do you guys just slowly jig the small lures along for the crappie or do you use a slip float? Were the cats all caught on the bottom?
                  Saturday, lets do it!! I'm probably gonna fish my lake friday evening too.

Comment

[QUOTE=shadyfisher85;30831]Congratulations on the banner day at Do you guys just slowly jig the small lures along for the crappie or do you use a slip float? QUOTE]

I was also using a slow jig pause retrieve. Floats will work as well I am sure. If I was going to just target them I would probably run 2 rods, Minnow on a slip bobber and jig and curly tail grub. Let the one sit while I jig the other.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                      Nice Wayne!!!, that's a lot of KW points.
                      Gotta get them uploaded tonight

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                        Saturday, lets do it!! I'm probably gonna fish my lake friday evening too.
                        I guess you guys are hooked now....

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                          I guess you guys are hooked now....
                          It's been on my list to get down there and catch some cats, one of the fish I haven't caught yet on the kayak.

Comment

Moc, how far to the barges?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                              Moc, how far to the barges?
                              Depending on how fast your yak moves, it is only a 15 min paddle.
                              Last edited by moc; 03-19-2012, 03:28 PM.

Comment

You guys had an awesome day. I am interested in going Saturday. Ryan, do plan to launch from Slavins?
                                2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                                X