wow! nice
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice fish Chimo!
        New2yaks,
        If that's the launch at the end of mattingly ave, then yes, that's the only place I've ever launched. I already have some salties for bait, but they didnt catch anything last time, so I might get minnows and something for cutbait too...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

The creek is fairly close to my house, so I fish there a lot- down stream a mile or so is the state park and the pay boat ramp on the opposite side of the creek from Slavin's- what I like about Slavin's ramp is the so-called "No Wake" zone where the boats don't come at you at full throttle...they run at reduced speed, but definitely push a wake-and the boaters are very curious about kayak fishing- had them come over and shoot the breeze with me about kayak fishing- pros and cons- especially when I was way up in the lilly pads fishing the shallows with Real Target frogs last summer-

I use chunked Bunker on a 6/0 circle hook on a fish finder rig with just enough lead to keep the bait on the bottom for catfish- I snell my hook with 40 pound Ande mono leader about 12 inches in overall length. Sometimes I will chum to help hold the catfish in an area, but it isn't necessary- the creek is loaded with catfish- any waters over six feet deep holds catfish- the best areas are off the edges of the channels so you don't get run over by powerboats and toss the bait into the deeper waters- Anchor up and put the rod in the holder- toss small brightly colored crankbaits while you wait on Mr. Cat and catch some bass, perch and crappie-this time of year I use fire tiger colors a lot- later in the summer blue and silver works best-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Great shots Wayne and thanks for providing the larger online images. I will download a few to show some friends....

Comment

Oh, I forgot some very important pics of the day ......

The first picture is fried crappie fillets
              The second picture is fried catfish fillets
              And the third are both species on the drip pan.

All I can say is that they tasted GREAT. I hope the weather for the weekend holds up, I would love to go get some more....
              Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like an amazing day out on the water. Way to go guys and thanks for sharing the story and information about what you used. The food looks delicious! Being from the south, I LOVE fried catfish haha.
                Last edited by Cliff; 03-20-2012, 11:52 PM.
                Cliff Williams
                Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                X