Singin the blues (cats that is)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singin the blues (cats that is)

Hit an Asian Grocery in District Hgts for some fresh Mullet which I cut into chunks and put in a zip lock. Loaded the new PA and went to Mattawoman Saturday afternoon for a 3:30 launch. Went just downstream from the launch to a 20' hole and anchored below so I'd be fishing in the deepest part. The new Elite 4 DSI was showing fish on the bottom, just what I wanted to see. Never hooked up on the first several fish, they just pulled a bunch of drag and let go. First cat to the yak showed 14.5 on the digital scale, followed by one on the second rod that went 7.9. Incoming tide stopped at 5, and by 5:45 it was running out. Had to relocate upstream to keep my baits in the hole and when the current picked up the cats lined up for dinner. I stil kept missing a lot using 7/0 circle hooks. Not sure , but could have been because I was hiding the hook in the mullet. Most of the baits that came back were visibly chewed on, but the hook was still concealed. Final tally was 19 blues and a little channel (12") Most were bigger that I wanted in the yak with me, probably over 20#. Only 2 pics, the 7.9 and a 10.5

Nice work!! love the new PA, congrats on the great day

Comment

Sounds like a great day. I was at Mattawoman last Sunday. Wind was howling straight up the creek. Waves have the boat rocking. Only managed channel cats about 12" and one at about 17". Went there hoping for some big ones like you found. I might have to get out there this coming weekend.

Did you launch at Slavins boat ramp? I launched last week at Smallwood state park, paid $10 to launch my boat and headed back inside the creek.
      2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Bill and I had the same issues today, Captain- we both had lots of fish pulled off circle hooks- used chunked bunker for bait- never had issues like this before using circle hooks.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Awesome work, Bob. I wish I had seen this before we headed out today. We didn't get into the big kitties, but we got lots of eating-sized fish. I found a barely alive gizzard shad flipping around on the surface, and your spot sounds like it would've been the perfect place to use it.

Ron, Wayne, and I had circle hook issues, too. I missed two big hits, and I had one hook break while the fish was in the boat. Ron and Wayne missed a bunch of stikes, too. Very weird.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice work! How do you like the new dsi? Did you put the 'ducer through hull or in the water? It's on my list.
            sigpic

Comment

The spot is no secret, just old. Leave the launch and head down the creek. At the end of the first fence you'll see a big downed tree with a big root ball at the water's edge. Stay 100' from shore and fish between that tree and a white sign just down the shore. This used to be THE hot spot for big channel cats before the blues took over. Water ranges from 14' to 20', just anchor so your yak faces the deeper water.

Comment

Nice looking new boat Capt.
                Congrads..

GB

Comment

Very nice! Like Bill said, wish I had seen this before I left. I caught plenty of cats but the biggest was only 28.5 inches. Lots of missed bites and short strikes / dropped baits.

Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by stonemason View Post
                    Nice work! How do you like the new dsi? Did you put the 'ducer through hull or in the water? It's on my list.
                    So far I like it, after a short trip. The xducer is gooped inside the hull and it seems to work well. I actually saw several schools of fish swim by about 10' under the hull in a group. That was cool. It clearly showed the individual arches together, never seen that before. It definately needs a navionics chip, the chart is very barren without it. Mine is the combo unit with gps included. Not a lot of need for it in a creek, but good for checking your speed (slow) or marking a spot.

Before putting it on the Hobie mounting board I purchased the RAM lightweight ball mount with the LO 11 adapter for the Lowrance Elite. Sweet little mount. It was hard finding someone who could say it would work on a model 4, all of the online info said it was for the bigger model 5. Here are a few pics of the mount.

Comment

Thanks! What is the other plug for?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stonemason View Post
                        Thanks! What is the other plug for?
                        Second unused plug is for a paddlewheel speedometer or an externaal temperature sensor. I wish they had included a cap for that port since it will surely get wet. I'm also not crazy about the rubber flap that covers the chip slot, it doesn't close very well. Everything else is good

Comment

The new kayak looks great. It looks like there are several aluminum poles along the edges of the bow. They remind me of the support poles for a bimini on a larger boat. What are those used for on your boat?
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                            The new kayak looks great. It looks like there are several aluminum poles along the edges of the bow. They remind me of the support poles for a bimini on a larger boat. What are those used for on your boat?
                            That is the Hobie H-Bar, with is a standing support.

Comment

Being older I was hoping more for a Pee bar than an H bar. The one thing I learnd on Saturday is not to wait till the last minute. Takes an old guy a little time to get balanced.

Comment

Working...
                              X