Bay Bridge Trip 3/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge Trip 3/19

I started the day off by witnessing a rear under on the bridge. I was going east in the westbound span and almost had one of the cars come into my lane! So besides that I got a late start and didn't hit the tide too good. I launched from G dock, nervous somebody was going to question me. After getting into the water uneventfully I began the trek out at around 1130. I put out two rods both with a small tandem rig, one Chute/bucktail and one Chute/swimbait and began trolling out towards the rock pile. After circling the ERP several times with no hits, I stopped for lunch. After taking my first pee in a kayak I took notice of the slacking tide. I worked my way back to the docks stopping at many of the pilings and jigging with no luck. Pulled out of the water with no bites but a lot of experience gained! Got to hit a few big ship wakes which gave me a little more confidence in my new boat. I

On my way home I was in Edgewater and a gentleman pulled up next to me at a stoplight. I almost didn't hear him because I was jamming to some music, but he asked if I was on SNAGGEDLINE!! I was surprised he asked but quickly responded "Yup!" And told him my name. I believe he said his name was Joe, glad you said hey today Joe!
    -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
    -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Sucks about the skunk. But it seems like you had fun anyways. Can't wait to get out to the bay bridge myself. I will probably end up on the susky flats before that happens though.
    Ascend A10

Comment

Too bad about the skunk. And peeing in a kayak is something else ain't it? Lucky you weren't wearing waders (I'm assuming you weren't)

Yeah, you can sometimes get into some big wakes out there. You have to be vigilant so that they don't surprise you. Yesterday, while at the eastern rockpile, I saw a loaded cargo ship hauling ass up the bay. I could tell it was pushing lots of water. A few minutes later, the wake arrived. I was ready for it and faced it, but when I saw it start to break over (yes over) the rock pile I started to panic a little... I headed into it as fast I could and had a roller coaster ride over 3 big waves. Luckily they only broke near the rockpile and not to the side where I was. You could hear them smashing against the pilings. Anyway... scary, but so much fun. But you gotta be careful.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Skunks don't bother me as long as I learn something! And the weather was awesome. I cannot wait to hook into one out there, I might go again Wednesday afternoon on my way back to Salisbury. Did you catch any yesterday Chex?
        -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
        -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Originally posted by MDFishin View Post
          Did you catch any yesterday Chex?
          I did! But I had to work hard for it. Jigged for 5 hours with only one hookup on a live minnow (broke me off though). Finally on my way back as the sun was setting, I trolled some xraps and landed 3 fat stripers in the low 20"s. Well worth the patience.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
            Too bad about the skunk. And peeing in a kayak is something else ain't it? Lucky you weren't wearing waders (I'm assuming you weren't)

Yeah, you can sometimes get into some big wakes out there. You have to be vigilant so that they don't surprise you. Yesterday, while at the eastern rockpile, I saw a loaded cargo ship hauling ass up the bay. I could tell it was pushing lots of water. A few minutes later, the wake arrived. I was ready for it and faced it, but when I saw it start to break over (yes over) the rock pile I started to panic a little... I headed into it as fast I could and had a roller coaster ride over 3 big waves. Luckily they only broke near the rockpile and not to the side where I was. You could hear them smashing against the pilings. Anyway... scary, but so much fun. But you gotta be careful.

Luckily, I saw the same three waves before they could hit me broadside. In the distance they seemed pretty large--certainly larger than I imagined from the cargo ship--but, I figured they would subside a bit before they got to me. I thought wrong. Needless to say, those are the time when I'm glad I have my outriggers; of course those won't help me if I go arse over tea kettle. All's well that ends well.

Comment

Working...
            X