Bay Bridge: 3/23/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge: 3/23/12

This morning, nay_sayer, foursteps and I ventured out at SPSP to fish the bay bridge and vicinity. We launched from the beach so we could fish outside of casting range from the surf fishing area. Eventually, we made our way up to the bridge.

We got skunked. It was SUPER foggy out there. It was fun, yet kinda spooky at the same time. Definitely a good time to be out there with buddies. I casted a RAT-L-Trap a few times in different locations, but no takers. Nay sayer worked his spankin striper lures...no takers for him as well.

After getting to the bridge, I set out my trolling gear. On one rod, I used a spoon umbrella...on the other, it was an umbrella with a 9" chartreuse shad in trail. No takers. I was anxiously awaiting the sound of my clickers buzzing...but it never happened. I had one line rigged with a planer, the other with just an inline trolling sinker. I marked fish on occasion, but nothing took the bait.

It was surreal being out there with about 1/8 mile visibility at times. We'd hear the ominous horns of cargo tankers from afar. One passed by in the channel and all I could see was the very top of the mast. Also a sight to see was the coast guard ship that loomed out of the fog with the guy manning the 50 cal gun at the bow.

Despite the skunk, it was a great day to be out on the water!

<insert witty comment here>

I like that last image. I'm not sure how you superimposed your route over the Google maps.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

You had to immortalize my laziness didn't ya Metro.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        I like that last image. I'm not sure how you superimposed your route over the Google maps.
        My app for my phone records my track, in addition to showing my position on nautical charts. I can export the gps track data as a .kmz file, which opens in google earth.

Nay_sayer, lol!

Comment

Sorry for the skunk. Looking at your track, it wasn't for a lack of trying. Did you do any jigging?
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I didn't do any jigging. Foursteps did though, as well as nay_sayer. Nothing!

Comment

Bay bridge from Easter Shore

Thanks for the report from Sandy Point. I fished out of the G-Dock this morning with the same results. I launched in the fog at 7:00 am in some of the worst fog I have seen. Fished the south bound pilings out to piling 40 (60 feet of water) then trolled North to the sewer pipe. I had one hit in at one of the first pilling in 8 feet of water but no hookup. Worked by way back and fourth from along the sewer pipe hump all the way into Terrapin beach. Took a short break on the beach for a snack. I then went straight south along the beach in some very shallow water were I finally saw a little life with a few bunker popping the water. Could snag any for live bait through. Then fished each piling on the north span all the way out to the channel. Had a brief though of going to the rock pile but without any marks on the finder all day I didn't didn't think the extra miles were worth it. Fished the south bound span back stopping to even fish some bait around piling 42 in 20 feet of water. By the afternoon there was finally a little current so I could pull nose into the piling and sit in the eddy for as long as I wanted. I saw almost not fish on the finder all day and decided to head back in to the dock around 1:30 after covering about 8 miles. The fog was so think in the morning that I had to really watch the track on my GPS to get into Terrapin beach. Couldn't see more than about 50 yards until after 10 am.

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by Twistedfish View Post
                I then went straight south along the beach in some very shallow water were I finally saw a little life with a few bunker popping the water. Could snag any for live bait through.

Danny
                Check the DNR regs. I don't think live or cut bait is allowed in that part of the bay until later in the spring.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

sweet pics

Comment

bait

according to Striped bass rules, Mar1-May3 Non-offset circle or J hooks with less than 1/2" gap are required when using bait.

Comment

Danny,

I'm glad someone else was out there to vouch for how thick the fog was! I'd never been in fog like that. I trolled for a lil bit after we launched and after a couple of turns, I didn't know where my two buddies were. They were out of sight within like 20 seconds of motoring. I used my phone app to double back on my path to get back to them.

Fun times nonetheless!

Comment

Originally posted by Twistedfish View Post
                        according to Striped bass rules, Mar1-May3 Non-offset circle or J hooks with less than 1/2" gap are required when using bait.
                        I'm glad you pointed that out. I never bothered to look myself, but remembered some prohibitions on bait from some time in the past.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

Nice pixs luv the app..
                          Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                          Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Bummer on the skunk. But nice pics! Definitely looks like a fun time.

Evenings have been producing better than mornings it seems. I just caught 24" and 34" rocks exactly where you were. Will post a video of the big guy later. Last weekend, same exact time (sunset) yielded 3 for me in the same spots.
                            Mike S.
                            Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                            X