Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3/23/12 evening... Bay Bridge Stripers (with video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/23/12 evening... Bay Bridge Stripers (with video)

Rough day at work had me needing some R&R so I headed to the BB. Launched from the SPSP boat ramps around 6pm. Very calm and warm out there. I was in shorts and a t-shirt.

I trolled my lucky xrap on a Trevala XXL/Calcutta101B combo (very light) and quickly pulled up a 24" rock. My biggest ever. It fought well on the light rod, taking out line a few times. I was excited.

20 minutes later, bam. A big one. Never felt anything that heavy. I fought this thing for 11 minutes. Every time I got it close, it ran hard. I finally got it in. 34" fat rockfish. I foul hooked the poor guy, but luckily the barbless hooks came out real easy. I took some time to revive him after the fight, before letting him go.

This video is from a point-and-shoot camera hanging from my neck. Sorry for the poor angle/quality, the lack of editing (it's the raw footage) and the profanity.

Attached Files
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Nice Fish MIKE!!!!

you were soo quiet for the longest time while you were fighting it. I definitely would have been talking to myself or the fish that whole time!!

Comment

AWESOME FISH!

The suspense of the fight was killing me. Great job, way to get the beast in the boat.

+1 about you being silent for so long.
      Cliff Williams
      Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

That's awesome. Stripers I've fought are usually in the boat in under a minute. That boy didn't want to give up!
        2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Nice work Mike. After at least 6 other MKF anglers came up empty at the Bay Bridge over the last two days, it is good to see that one of our members found some fish.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice linesiders! That 24 has been eating quite well. Great catch.

Comment

What a blast!
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

NICE FISH!!!!!!

A fish that big really wakes you up on a yak, almost a little sketchy.

Congrats

Comment

Great fish!! Good job and congrats! Nothing like a 30"+ striper. Hope they're still around the flats for the Jamboree.

Comment

Nice work Mike! I'm glad you proved that the fish are out there!
                    Unfortunately, I think you burned your spot. I think I recognize that bridge in the background .
                    Hobie PA 12

Comment

Congrats on that fish! Thanks for sharing the video.
                      Sun Fishin'

Comment

Nice fish .... Congrats!
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

thank you. i hope everybody catches this fish (poor guy)... he's a tough fish (or she... i have no idea) stonemason (stupidjet?) caught an even bigger one right around there too. so they're there... sometimes. i cheated because i have a lucky xrap.
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback

Comment

Good video. To say the least, you seemed highly excited. Even though you were quiet. Congrats!

Can't wait until trophy season so we can keep them. I think it's 1 May.
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                              Can't wait until trophy season so we can keep them. I think it's 1 May.
                              yeah i woulda gotten some major brownie points if i'd taken this fattie home.
                              Mike S.
                              Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X