3/23/12 Black Walnut Perchin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/23/12 Black Walnut Perchin

Thanks to Andrew (Kayak456), I tried some new water today and fished Black Walnut Creek. I also got to try out some new kayak fishing toys that I got as early birthday presents. I used my new Yak Attack Park-n-Pole and my Hook1 Hawg Trough. Both worked out great!

Anyways on to the fishing... I left the house this morning without much precip coming down and headed over to clydes to pick up some grass shrimp. About 5 minutes after leaving Clydes, it started pouring! Luckily, just about the time I got to my destination it was only drizzling.

I was on the water by about 7:30 and paddled over to explore the first cove. I spent about an hour and a half there and caught about a dozen white perch with two at 9 and 10 inches. I mainly used chartreuse gulp alive minnows on a roadrunner jighead tipped with grass shrimp, but I also threw a small floating rapala a few times and caught a couple on that too. Here's the 10 incher:

I decided to move on to try another spot and saw Andrew at the neighborhood pier. He said that he had been catching a lot at the other end of the creek, so I made my way down to the mouth. The mouth of the creek is really skinny, kind of like an inlet. I decided to use my park-n-pole to push all the way out to the Bay to check it out. It was pretty cool to go through there, wish I would have taken some pictures...

Anyways I didnt catch anything in the inlet, but didnt really try to hard. I made my way back out and started fishing my way back along the shorelines to where I launched. The action wasnt super hot, but I did catch several more white perch for a total of about 40 for the day. I brought home 8 that were about 8.5 -10 inches. Here are two more close to 10 inches:

I didn't have to deal with too much rain on the water but almost as soon as I was on my way home, it started pouring again. I guess luck was on my side today...

The whole group before cleaning:

And after cleaning:
    Last edited by Shady; 03-24-2012, 03:22 PM.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Ooops! This was not on 3/23, this was today 3/24...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

How do you cook the roe??
      -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
      -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

oooh yeah. nice perch man. did they prefer grass shrimp over gulp?
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I will either coat it with flour and seasoning and then fry in butter or just cook with scrambled eggs. Either way is delicious! IMHO White perch roe is much better than yellow perch roe. Num Yummy!
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I didnt use the gulp by itself, I tipped it with a grass shrimp every time. I catch tons of perch in the summer with the gulp alone, but for some reason this time of year, it seems like they usually want a little something extra...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Here we go!
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Good fishing. That's weird you didn't catch anything on the other. End. That's where I have been slaying them and that one man caught 200 fish. I went off the pier for about 10 minutes and caught 3 fish around 8 inches. I didnt use the yak because of the weather. But I'm surprised you caught some on a rapala. Minnows or grass shrimp hooked onto a shad dart under a bobber is the ticket for me

Comment

I don't fish at the inlet I fish that end all along the left side of the bank.

Comment

I caught a good bit along the left shoreline towards the mouth of the creek. I saw a guy fishing from shore and he was pulling in quite a few perch, probably the same guy you saw yesterday. He said he caught 40 yesterday that were big enough to keep.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Ok well I'm going on Tuesday if you or anyone else wants to go.

Comment

Where are you guys getting grass shrimp from? All I have are shad darts for wp.
                        2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I use the smallest natural shad color bodies I can find on UL spinning gear and 1/16 oz jig heads for WP-
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I find stumps or piling or grassy marshes to get grass shrimp. I use a red and white 1/8 trounce ounce shard shad. That's my rig

Comment

Nice looking Perch. Spiny little suckers. Thanks for the report.
                              Hobie Outback
                              WS Tarpon
                              IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Working...
                              X