Assateague Island 3/23-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assateague Island 3/23-24

Surf fished Assateage Island all day friday and saturday morning. Got to the beach and began fishing around 11. Fresh bunker picked up at Bucks was in nice shape I'd give em a 7 outta 10 on freshness. Fished 4 rods from 11am-2am only catching about 10 dogfish. Although some of the Spinys were over 4 ft it was a dissappointing day. Woke up early and was on the beach by 6am today and stayed until 11 (camping checkout). With gloomy weather and pretty poor fishing I opted not to stay another day/night and packed up. The awesome weather yesterday made the super slow fishing bearable. You know it was a bad day when I talk about bait more than the target species!!!

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention why I made this post!! While fishing all day friday I observed from the beach what appeared to be very large seaweed beds floating about 300-1500 yds off the shore (depending on tides and current they moved). My estimate of size would be about that of a football field. On my line I kept snagging floating Ulva more commonly known as Sea lettuce. There were swimming birds diving around these beds all day long! I think those seaweed beds probably hold some type of fish. As calm as it was yesterday launching from the beach and fishing out there would have been a cinch! Now im thinking about an exploratory mission.
    Last edited by MDFishin; 03-24-2012, 03:41 PM.
    -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
    -Heritage FeatherLite 12

I've always heard dolphin like floating debris/ floating cover doubt it'd be them but id be down to check em out soon with you
    Malibu stealth 14 with a paddle....still lol

Comment

I think you're right about floating seaweed and and loitering fish. Take some lures and check it out.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I've been fishing 20-30 miles offshore before and we'd pull up on one of those floating grassbeds. The captain would tell us to cast as close to it as we could. We would more often than not catch dolphin(dorado) there. We've caught them up to 48" doing that. No doubt dorado love those beds. I can only imagine it's because of all the smaller sea life that is there.
        2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

You get any pics of the dogs?

Comment

Matt my buddys might have some but seeing as I was basically the fishing guide I was super busy. 4 SURF rods with 3 clueless guys = a lot of work for me. I had fun and two of the guys 1. had never caught a shark (Spiny is a weak entry i know), and 2. was the biggest "fish" they had caught on rod n reel ever. SO that was rewarding for me.

Dolphin wouldnt be found that close to the shore would they??
            -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Originally posted by MDFishin View Post
              Matt my buddys might have some but seeing as I was basically the fishing guide I was super busy. 4 SURF rods with 3 clueless guys = a lot of work for me. I had fun and two of the guys 1. had never caught a shark (Spiny is a weak entry i know), and 2. was the biggest "fish" they had caught on rod n reel ever. SO that was rewarding for me.

Dolphin wouldnt be found that close to the shore would they??
              Not normally but this year? Shoot, i heard of bluefin off va beach in 30' of water, notice I said feet, not fathoms Haha so i guess craxier things have happened but i do doubt they are dolphin, maybe some rock/spec action? Not really sure
              Malibu stealth 14 with a paddle....still lol

Comment

Yeah I heard about the bluefin...They were hitting parachutes!! thats awesome!
                -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Tuna close to Virginia Beach isn't that unusual- just the time of year they showed up is unusual- At Hatteras Island pier, there have been dolphin caught off the end of the pier by fishermen fishing for king mackerel and cobia- same story with tarpon- even had billfish caught close to shore in boats float fishing for kings- when the Gulfstream shifts toward the shore all kinds of offshore fish move in following the baitfish-
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                  X