No announcement yet.

Mattawoman Creek Report 3/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was using cut mullet for bait, I got it from Lotte. My rig was pretty much as you describe, except I was only using 2 oz weights. The 2 oz weights seemed to hold it in the current, but I was wondering if a little heavier would have been better. I didn't have any 3 oz weights with me
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I was 3 oz weights, my 2 didn't seem to hold well.

Comment

shadyfisher, some day when you don't feel like a long paddle and you want some big kittys take you 2oz sinkers and your cut mullet and launch at Slavin's. Paddle or peddle past the kayak launch and go to the end of the Indian Head fence where you'll see this downed tree.

You need current for the big blues. If the tide is running out anchor so your baits sit 50' out from that tree. If the tide is coming in, anchor downstream so your mullet is between the white sign and that same tree in this pic.

The water in front of the tree is 19', out from the sign is 17 - 18. Used to be a channel cat hole before those blue critters took over. When the tide goes slack you catch small channels and bullheads. Guess they're afraid to play when there's current.

I went twice last week and both days I had fish to the boat that I didn't want to lift. One on Friday afternoon looked to be close to 40. I was going to try to weigh it and get a pic, but the crimp on sleeve broke before I could get the gripper on her.

I'm hoping to go tomorrow, supposed to be the best weather of this week.

Comment

I was trying to remember your pics in my head. I knew it had to do with a fence, but I just couldn't put it all together. oh well, next time!!

Comment

Thanks for the tips C-Hawk. I'm really tempted to try again on friday, but not sure if I want to go there or susky...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I sat right there Sunday from about 1:30 to 3:00 and was having a great time catching catfish. I thought to myself wow I am only 200 yards from the ramp and killing them.

My biggest was just shy of 24". Caught 20 to 25 fish some of them very small but most in the 16" range. I also caught 2 small white perch that would fit in your hand so they went back.
              Jim

Hobie Outback
              TKAA member
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Working...
              X