03.25.12 bay bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03.25.12 bay bridge

splashed by 8am or so. decent wind, but it was rough! forecast last night said 5-10kt winds and 1ft. i had 3 foot swells crashing on me most of the morning. have to admit it was pretty fun, but tired me out quickly fighting the wind and rippin current. tried jiggin, but nothing. trolling i went. hooked up with a high 30's, but lost it at the boat bc i'm a dumbass. i was too lazy to tie a leader, so while at the boat, i didnt want to grab my main line in case it took off running so i was basically high stickin my rod and trying to grab it with my boga. well, i dropped the tip down just enough to give it slack and with a shake of the head, gone. fark. didnt i do something similar last week too? loaded by 130ish and dead tired.

i had more than a gallon of water in my yak by the end. i think it's just from taking so much water over the bow and side, probably through the center hatch. doubt it's a crack somewhere.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Originally posted by stonemason View Post

i had more than a gallon of water in my yak by the end. i think it's just from taking so much water over the bow and side, probably through the center hatch. doubt it's a crack somewhere.
    I hope you are correct about the source of the water. Last summer I had a similar thing happen to me several trips in a row in much calmer water than you faced. I set the boat upright on some stands and filled it partway with water. I checked to see where the water was oozing out. I eventually found a tiny hairline crack near the bottom end of a scupper hole. I covered it with several layers of Goop, and it has worked fine.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

yeah, i'll do the same to check for a leak. i did a quick look and couldnt find anything noticeable. never had that much water in the yak, but i also never had that much water coming over either. if it's a wet ride, i always have a little bit of water, just from opening the center hatch and it dripping in.

i also had tons of trouble with my left cam lock for the hobie drive. luckily i brought an allen wrench and was able to tighten it down enough to let me peddle. at one point, it was coming loose every 5 minutes. looks like they are pretty worn. but so does the hull...hopefully a new cam will keep me going for this season.
      sigpic

Comment

Sorry about the lost fish. The cam support column could be the source of your leak. In one of my hulls, I replaced the cam bolts with the longer ones provided by the factory. That worked for a while, but then I had to had to added something to the bolt to make it wider since the plastic got stripped. I can't remember the product's name, but I think I have extras if you need one. Eventually, that hull developed a leak in that area

Edit: The thing I added to the bolt is called a Helicoil, which Hobie supplied. I can't remember the correct size, though.
        Last edited by ictalurus; 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM. Reason: added product name
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

^damn, I'll have to take a real good look then.
          sigpic

Comment

What do you guys normally troll with? On a boat i usually use Mojos and heavy inline sinker or umbrella rings. I think this would be kinda hard since they have a lot of drag.

Comment

Originally posted by M3_Monstar View Post
              What do you guys normally troll with? On a boat i usually use Mojos and heavy inline sinker or umbrella rings. I think this would be kinda hard since they have a lot of drag.
              I think most guys are trolling tandems or crankbaits. Chexone caught his fish trolliing an X-Rap crankbait.

Comment

these pics dont show the swells, but my go pro failed again this trip, so it's all i got.
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

That water does not look friendly. I'm not sure I would have as much fun in it as you did.

Got to try to troll an alabama rig. I bought two from the MFK swap meet and can't wait to try them when trophy season opens.

BTW, did you change from stupidjet to stonemason?
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

^yes I did
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X