Nanticoke 3/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nanticoke 3/25

Last night I had called off fishing this morning because I needed to get my truck worked on this AM. Then, late last night I got a call from the guy fixing it and he said today was a no go. So, jkrahl and I headed out to the Nanticoke in search of perch, catfish, or whatever wanted to bite.

5:15- left the house

5:25 - Killed a deer.

The crazy young buck came outta nowhere and played chicken with us. He lost. So did my truck. We were only 10 minutes away from the launch spot and as long as I didn't have to make a left hand turn we were good.

We lauched to a dead flat river and paddled around until we found a decent hole. Bloodworms were the bait of choice. Not 10 minutes after anchoring, I caught a croaker. ALREADY! He was the only one we caught and was around 12 inches. After that, I had a nice hit and managed about a 16 inch channel cat. I already killed once this morning, so I let him live.

Then, my little calcutta 200 went off. Whatever it was charged the yak and when the line came to tight under the bow, he took off. After about 200 yards of screaming, I got control and landed a 42 inch striper. It's my first large striper from the Outback. It was pretty awesome. I now have a whole new level of addiction. After a quick pic, she was set free unharmed and fiesty as ever. About 10 minutes later my other rod went off and I landed a 38 incher. No pic...she flopped off my lap when I was getthing my camera out of the dry bag.....oh well. I had one more hard take down that came unbuttoned. Other than the striper, the day was filled with multiple catfish, one Croaker, and a perch. The tide quit around 11 and all the action shut off.

We decided to head in around 11:30. Just as we got to my truck, I realized I must have dropped my phone over . All my pics (except for the one below that I txted my father and he txted back to me) were lost. Pretty frustrating. We tried to use jkrahl's camera to get a pic of the deer, but he was nowhere to be found. And trust us, he was plenty dead. I guess one of the locals made quick work of him

Great day on the water with a few surprises.
    Attached Files

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Is this the lower bay. How is there catfish in salt water, I'm confused

Comment

Outstanding fishing- trophy rock is a trophy rock, even when it is catch and release- bloodworms and sand worms are the bait of choice this time of year...did you have a big hunk of bloodworm on or just a small piece on a double bottom rig for perch?
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
        Is this the lower bay. How is there catfish in salt water, I'm confused
        The water is probably more brackish. We catch trout there in the early summer and I've even heard of puppy drum being caught there in the fall. It's salty enought to rust pliers, hooks, etc.

Ronaultmtd - Thanks! Generally I break the worm in half or into thirds depending on the size. Big chucks can get pricey. I was using a single hook rig.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I caught blue catfish at Cobb Island last spring in the mouth of Wicomico and at the Harry Nice Bridge at the PEPCO power plant discharge- catfish are at home in the brackish/salt all the way down to Tidewater in the James River- as long as it isn't all salt you can catch Blue cats-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Awesome striper... That's a fish of a lifetime right there, especially from a kayak.
            2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Is it south of Annapolis.

Comment

MAN!!!! Nice Fish!!!! I wasted...check that spent 5 hours around the rt 50 bridge going after Tog with nothing. Looks like you made the right choice. Where did you launch at? Im definitely doing this either this week or next weekend. Congratulations again on the fish, I cant wait to get a big striper from the yak!!
                Last edited by MDFishin; 03-25-2012, 08:19 PM. Reason: ;)
                -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
                -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Sweet! Congrats on the fish!! take the pic to a tackle shop and you should be able to get a release citation!!

Comment

Sorry to hear about the deer, your truck, and your phone, but those are two awesome fish. That's the way to make the best of a bad situation. Did you make it home without turning left?
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                      Sorry to hear about the deer, your truck, and your phone, but those are two awesome fish. That's the way to make the best of a bad situation. Did you make it home without turning left?
                      Lol, Sure did..... It took 3 hours but we made it.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I'm wondering about that croaker is this place near Annapolis, how far south is it

Comment

I'm wondering about that croaker is this place near Annapolis, how far south is it
                          It is further south of annapolis. In wicomico county, md. Idk if that was a stray croaker or what. Seems awful early but with this weather I wouldn't be too surprised

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I'm going to try for some croaker on Wednesday in the river thecuz where there's one there has to be others

Comment

I'm going to try for some croaker on Wednesday in the river thecuz where there's one there has to be others
                              He caught it on the eastern shore, completely other side of the bay, and further south.

Comment

Working...
                              X