Mattawoman 29 Mar '12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman 29 Mar '12

Felt a little bit of spring fever and had to call out of work yesterday I think the front coming through really shut the cats down though A co-worker and I started out to the right of Slavins in the deep hole fishing the incoming tide. Caught a few fish but it was slow slow slow... I did get one quality blue to the boat but the leader must have got knicked because he snapped me off when I grabbed the leader to pull his head up somewhere in the 30lb+ range. Otherwise it was just bullhead and some small blues and channels. Decided to mess around and see if I could find some crappies on the downed trees and worked my way downstream. No crappies but I picked up a few small bass on my twistertail grub. I also tried fishing the weeds that are coming up with a chatterbait for a while without any luck. Moved upstream and fished the sunken barge for a while hoping the crappies were still loaded on the structure. Caught 2 crappies and 4 bass in 30 mins or so. Finally moved back downstream and fished the outgoing tide with only a couple bites and no fish landed

Seems like the crabs are coming out as well. A few of our baits got stripped, I mean meat right off the bones stripped and I could feel them tugging around a couple times. A nice day on the water and sure beat work

Chimo

Thanks for the post. Perfect timing, as there is a group going out tomorrow. This cold spell is surely to blame for any change in the bite. It should be near 80 Monday though! Just in time for all of us to get back to work.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Comment

Gotta love playin hooky!

Is the water color better than the last time I saw you over there?

Justin

Comment

A little clearer. I didn't have a mud line on my yak when I left

Chimo

Comment

Sorry about the one the got away, but at least it sounds like you got a little bit of everything. Is the spatterdock above the water yet?
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

The spatterdock is up and getting pretty thick in areas. I tried fishing a chatterbait around it for a while and saw something big swirl (not at my bait) but didn't get any bites. The osprey were picking what looked to be shad out of the shallow flats around the spatterdock as well.

Comment

i didnt know that there was freshwater crabs

Comment

Working...
              X