Flats Report 3/30, planers and swan creek launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flats Report 3/30, planers and swan creek launch

I got a tip that the bite had started on the southern end of the Flats. Since I'd been eagerly awaiting this I headed out. As you may know it's a long paddle to the southern end of the flats from jean roberts...probably 7-9 miles. I decided to launch from eleanor and millard tydings which is at swan creek. I'll post more on this launch site in another thread. I took a video to show what it looks like there.

Anyway, I broke out my new hot shot planers, trolling 4 rods. I did get tangled a couple of times, but I learned to avoid this. The planers need to be let out much further than the other two lines because sometimes it flips over and stops planing. Then it gets into the other lines. One planer developed a crack and started taking in some water so I'll need to repair that for next time. At any rate, I got it worked out and trolled every kind of tasty looking lure that I had. 15 miles total and not a fish. I went out of swan creek, past plum point along the channel to locust point where I marked LOTS of fish. I wanted to put up a screen shot of the FF but it's downstairs and I'm being lazy. These were all shad, I saw an injured one bobbing at the surface. I did get a down imaging view of a large striper. It was pretty neat to see. There are a few big ones showing up. I just didn't catch any.

I came upon a couple dozen boats focused in a single area in a finger of relatively deeper water so I guess the reports coming in of fish were from there. I ignored this pod of boats because I didnt want to be in that cluster but I guess I should have stayed. I trolled around the islands as well and then back along the southern channel.

I can say one thing. There is a lot of water to cover in the flats and it is difficult if you are trying to find fish in the kayak. It's just so far to go. I fished 8:30 to 4:30...a lot of which was looking for places. I was trying to find sharp drop offs but there dont seem to be any. They're all gradual. The captains have the benefit of calling each other and then motoring over. This is where the mothership would be cool.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Good on you for trying! Don't know if you've seen this article, but it might give a little extra help on where to try fishing on a given day on the flats:
    http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/cont...ke-bay-fishing

From the few early report I've seen, it sounded like people were having luck jigging. Did you give jigging a try?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks Ryan. I did see this. I didn't try much jigging, but it seems like that was the ticket. It's just hard to know where. It's a lot of water.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Working...
      X