Flats trip from Elk Neck State Park Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flats trip from Elk Neck State Park Beach

Drove up to Elk Neck State Park and launched from the beach at the swimming area. Fished from 10:30 until until 3 pm and caught 9 stripers and lost three. two fish around 18", three between 24-28", a three between 32-36" and a 39" fish. I caught the first three fish trolling and looking. Caught the rest drifting and casting. It was a good day on the flats. Fish I could have stayed until dark. Hooked the two biggest fish just before I pulled the BKD out of the water for the next cast. Both big fish hit right under the boat.

The launch is not bad at all. You drive to the swimming area and there is a sign directing you to the kayak launch. The only issues is that the parking lot is at the top of a hill. Easy to get to the water, it's a good amount of work pulling the boat back up the road to the parking lot. The beach is not in very good shape. They have had a dozer on the beach pushing up driftwood so there are a lot of ruts on the beach drag over.

From the beach you are fishing right away. I covered about 7 miles, all east and south of the launch. I don't think I fished more than about 2.5 miles south of the beach. Very few boats around when I launched but when the fish turned on there were more than 20 in the area.

Danny
    Attached Files

Awesome fish! I can't imagine hooking big fish like that while pulling the lure out of the water preparing to cast. That's a nice surprise.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice fish. I was expecting to see some yaks out but didn't see any. did you see any others?

Comment

Got to watch all of you guys from work out there having fun.
        Yellow WS Ride 135
        Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Nice job!
          I was out again today and skunked again. I put in another 10 miles, so 25 over the course of the weekend. I fished around Battery Island around a ditch that I'd found running north and south. I fished it up and down but no takers. I trolled a pair of lures everywhere I went but still nothing. Thanks for the info on Elk Neck. Ive never been there.

What were you trolling and how deep was the water? What water temps did you see. Friday I found 57 degree water which is where all the boats were congregated, but today only 54.5 degrees everywhere I went.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Wow, awesome fish!

Congrats.
            Mike S.